Repetitive?

toodlepip

Dedicated Member
I was just reading the topic about Edie and the Automobile and a comment saying the driving scenes with her got tiring after a while. They didn´t bother me much, but without doubt there are things in the show that repeat themselves over and over. Is there anything you get tired of?

For me it´s the Howard-Pearl-Marina part. There may be really funny situations even in the umpteenth episode, but in general I got tired of them. It was a bit like "what else could we come up with for Howard to meet Marina?", leading to the absurdest disguises etc., a bit over the top for my liking. And Pearl´s sour mood also became harder for me to watch.

I think I said it before , but the most repetitive for me was the" Compo jealous of Smiler " set of episodes. They got boring after a couple! :-\ ::)

thts true dick, they were tiring after a couple.

i mentioned edie driving getting repetitive and i stick by it, in the earlier episodes it was ok, but after 10 series or so the same old routine just got tiring 4 me

What I found annoying was Truly's mention of 'The Former Mrs Truelove' in every episode, plus Howard failing to find a quiet spot without being found out!

I think I said it before , but the most repetitive for me was the" Compo jealous of Smiler " set of episodes. They got boring after a couple! :-\ ::)

Yeah Dick those were not great episodes.Someone posted that Clutterbuck was the worst ever episode,These were proberly up there as well.

I never got tired of the Edie driving scenes because I know that if my mam had ever learned to drive ( Lord preserve us) that's exactly how she would have driven.
But the Compo being jealous of Smiler was a bit repetitive. Quick Quick Slow was quite a boring episode for me.
I said before that Eli was a repetitive and annoying charactor to me, and have agreed to disagree with other members on this point :D.

To be honest, the opening scenes to many of the episodes used to wind me up a bit.
The repetitive parts of Compo sliding the bedroom window open, to hassle Nora got a bit wearing for me, as it did when he used to tramp round to her house and ring the bell, it was obvious how it was going to end and those scenes seemed a bit like fillers.
As has been mentioned already, the Smiler-living-with- Nora scenes were a bit odd, Compo was pretty much threatening Smiler to keep away from his "girl", the end result being that Smiler was thrown out of Nora's, due to the scheming of Compo, so Nora lost an income.
I KNOW it's just a comedy show but i can't help spotting little things like that.

G ; )

To be honest, the opening scenes to many of the episodes used to wind me up a bit.
The repetitive parts of Compo sliding the bedroom window open, to hassle Nora got a bit wearing for me, as it did when he used to tramp round to her house and ring the bell, it was obvious how it was going to end and those scenes seemed a bit like fillers.
As has been mentioned already, the Smiler-living-with- Nora scenes were a bit odd, Compo was pretty much threatening Smiler to keep away from his "girl", the end result being that Smiler was thrown out of Nora's, due to the scheming of Compo, so Nora lost an income.
I KNOW it's just a comedy show but i can't help spotting little things like that.

G ; )

I don't mind the opening scenes with Compo and Nora because they just seem like a perfect fit. When Alvin took over this spot it got tiring for me quickly.

I was just reading the topic about Edie and the Automobile and a comment saying the driving scenes with her got tiring after a while. They didn´t bother me much, but without doubt there are things in the show that repeat themselves over and over. Is there anything you get tired of?

For me it´s the Howard-Pearl-Marina part. There may be really funny situations even in the umpteenth episode, but in general I got tired of them. It was a bit like "what else could we come up with for Howard to meet Marina?", leading to the absurdest disguises etc., a bit over the top for my liking. And Pearl´s sour mood also became harder for me to watch.

I agree with **** those because it lasted decades, the Howard-Pearl-Marina storyline was eventually over done. Still, there were occasioanl great moments throughout, so it wasn't a totally bad thing.

And lastly, even though I love Foggy, his war stories about him and the natives got a bit repetitive.

I agree with this: other parts that seemed to be over-worked:

the coffee morning with synchronised drinking
The Smiler as lodger set of episodes
Foggy always boring everyone with his patently false war time exploits (he was a RASC sign writer!)

Also there seemed to be a period when every episode had to have a Howard-Marina moment, a coffee morning, Foggy being boring and so on ... some of the best episodes were when some of the regular situations were absent which is probably one reason why Full Steam behind with just the three characters is one of the top episodes.

Foggy always boring everyone with his patently false war time exploits (he was a RASC sign writer!)

Also there seemed to be a period when every episode had to have a Howard-Marina moment, a coffee morning, Foggy being boring and so on ... some of the best episodes were when some of the regular situations were absent which is probably one reason why Full Steam behind with just the three characters is one of the top episodes.

I think that's why i have such a downer on the second Foggy period. After a couple of series it became very repetitive. You'd start the episode with Compo irritating Nora, Foggy boring someone with a war story, and Howard knocking on Clegg's door and trying to get him involved with a scheme to meet Marina. Then there'd be a coffee morning scene, an Auntie Wainwright scene, and plenty of Howard and Marina and Pearl.

Individually, any one of those scenes and episodes may be funny, but taken together, they do become very repetitive.

I think that's why i have such a downer on the second Foggy period. After a couple of series it became very repetitive. You'd start the episode with Compo irritating Nora, Foggy boring someone with a war story, and Howard knocking on Clegg's door and trying to get him involved with a scheme to meet Marina. Then there'd be a coffee morning scene, an Auntie Wainwright scene, and plenty of Howard and Marina and Pearl.

Individually, any one of those scenes and episodes may be funny, but taken together, they do become very repetitive.

Truthfully a lot of Summer Wine is quite repetitive. To me, it is not automatically a bad thing. Things mentioned here, like the ladies in Edie's car, the synchronized drinking at coffee time, Compo at Nora's door, etc. It doesn't bother me because I don't think of individual episodes of Summer Wine as cinematic masterpieces. To me, individual episodes can have a lot of simple qualities and that is fine. I don't necessarily think all of Summer Wine has to be ground-breaking. I think of the show as "Comfort Food for the Soul".

Having said all of this I mentioned earlier that I am not fond of some of the repetitive things (Howard-Pearl-Marina, Foggy's later war stories). Here is a question for you all.

A lot of the repetitve moments appear to have occurred during Foggy's second stint. His comeback started with a bang- Return of the Warrior and Come In Sun-ray Major". Afterwards, do you you feel that Clarke went through a temporary creative block?

Truthfully a lot of Summer Wine is quite repetitive. To me, it is not automatically a bad thing. Things mentioned here, like the ladies in Edie's car, the synchronized drinking at coffee time, Compo at Nora's door, etc. It doesn't bother me because I don't think of individual episodes of Summer Wine as cinematic masterpieces. To me, individual episodes can have a lot of simple qualities and that is fine. I don't necessarily think all of Summer Wine has to be ground-breaking. I think of the show as "Comfort Food for the Soul".

Having said all of this I mentioned earlier that I am not fond of some of the repetitive things (Howard-Pearl-Marina, Foggy's later war stories). Here is a question for you all.

A lot of the repetitve moments appear to have occurred during Foggy's second stint. His comeback started with a bang- Return of the Warrior and Come In Sun-ray Major". Afterwards, do you you feel that Clarke went through a temporary creative block?

I don't mind the occasional recurring jokes, such as the Coffee Morning, but i do think that the second Foggy run featured too many of these recurring moments, in too many episodes. Add an appearance by Eli into the mix as well and there's another. If they'd just had 2 or 3 of each element in each episode and mixed them about more (ep1 could have Foggy boring someone, a coffee morning scene, ep2 have a strong Howard/Marina moment, with a visit to Auntie Wainwright..and so on) it would have been better but so many featured too many returning gags.

For me, the first 2 series after Foggy returned are fine, it's after that that the series went into a creative trough for me that it didn't spark out of until Truly arrived.

You've got that right Codfanglers......Summer Wine is "Comfort food for the
Soul". I look forward to each episode and enjoy it whether it be repetitive
or not. I can be such a creature of habit, eh?! :)

I know I've mentioned some repetitive episodes but we still wind down with Summer Wine just before bedtime .As you say , comfort food for the soul ! ;) Come to think of it, are we in danger of analysing the life out of the programme?? :eek:

I know I've mentioned some repetitive episodes but we still wind down with Summer Wine just before bedtime .As you say , comfort food for the soul ! ;) Come to think of it, are we in danger of analysing the life out of the programme?? :eek:

We might be but what will we eventually be left to talk about!

I've found the start of the episodes where Howard comes round top Clegg's and asking a favour to be repetitive, the Pearl and Howard scenes where he's just about to escape, and when Howard thinks he's 'Cracked it this time love", plus when they nearly kiss but are interrupted. Part from that, I enjoy every episode. ;D

We might be but what will we eventually be left to talk about!
Thinking about it I still reminisce about THE GOONS and the show finished in around 1960 or so!! :D

Back