Remembrance Sunday

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Maybe a day for 'Last Post and Pigeon'

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond our land's foam

Lest we forget!

Yes wonderful! Remembering my two great uncles who served in WWII and an uncle in Vietnam! Thank you Big Unc!
:respect: 8)

I had a thought that we should recognize all of those here that served their country. Would anyone agree and tell us if they are Veterans or ifthey had family members that are Veterans?

Both my grandfathers served in WW1, one navy the other cavalry. My maternal grandfather was over 50 at start of WW2 so did not serve then but my paternal grandfather went back to sea, CPO, for WW2 and my own father was in navy but not until towards the end. Quite a few great uncles served win WW1, and one re-enlisted in RM in 1939. Uncles in RN in WW2. Surprisingly not a single fatality in any of that from quite large families! However a long history of military service in my forebears.

We send these kids out to war the least we can do is remember them. All of them.

We should never forget. I think the history of the both world wars should be permanently on the school curriculum. Not to perpetuate any ill feeling toward another land, but to teach the future generations how precious our liberties are, and how hard people fought to keep them. My neighbours both fought in the second world war and one of them once told me it wasn't history, it wasn't 60 years ago, it was that morning for him when his back hurt as he put on his shoes, and when he had to ask his son to repeat what he'd said. A bomb had exploded very near him in Dunkirk and had damaged his back and burst his ear drum. It's all very real, and today it seems as though many people regard it as little more than a subject for a film.

how true rhi....as for me my two grandfathers served and survived WW1....my uncle George served in the navy in WW2 and am very proud of him..he served on the battleship "prince of wales, he was an engine room worker, and was at the sinking of the bismark...he stayed with the ship until it was sunk off Singapore and was then taken prisoner by the Japanese and was sent to Burma...he survived...he spoke very little about it.....we have it soft.

Like that Unc very moving ,my cousin died in 1943 in a Stirling bomber over Germany only 21 what a waste.

I'm reviving this thread simply because today is the day to remember all those brave souls from all conflicts many who gave their lives so others could live on . I watched, as I hope many have, the various remembrance parades today . The Veterans who marched past the Cenotaph today deserve our deepest appreciation for the sacrifice they made . IF you watch anything else today I would urge you to view the Antiques Roadshow which has a WW1 special and some of the bravery of those in the stories being told are simply astounding . All I can say is simply Thank you one and all .

Back