Reflections on Series 6

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
This post is a bit late as I am currently on Series 7, but there were a few topics of interest I wanted to bring up regarding Series 6.

1. First of all, as I read through this site's episode guide I noticed there were over two years between the releasing of Series 5 episodes and Series 6 episodes. What was the reason?

2. Also, with that gap in between, would you think that Series6 is when the pace of the show started picking up (a little more action based and a little less action based)? I think I caught onto this a little. Then do I dare say the the "early years of Summer wine" might run from series 1-5 and then the "middle years" really start around Series 6. Of course this is disputable and there is naturally an even bigger difference with the switching of Blamire to Foggy. I missed "Serenade for tight jeans and Metal Detector", but quite a lot of physical comedy with episodes like "Service to Humanity, Odd Dog Men, and Wellies to Wetsuit". There were quite different from Series 5 episodes such as Earnshaw Strikes Again.

3. Here we see the Introduction to Wesley in Car and Garter and he is quite different here then when he becomes a regular cast member. The changing of characters over time have been discussed here quite a bit, for example, Clegg was kind of bold and seemed to have a bit of a rebel streak in the Blamire years, but his character then grows to become more timid over the years. Series 6 had a lot of him fearing Ivy and Nora. Wesley over overly energetic in Car and Garter, and he seems to have calmed down a good bit in later Series. Of course, characters had to be adapted to benefit the longevity of the show.

Anyone have any answers or additional reflective thoughts?

I suppose in the case of the "early" version of Clegg, where he doesn't show the fear of females, that we have come to associate him with, i assume that Roy Clarke was still settling the characters into their respective roles maybe?
There are a few things that crop up throughout the years of Summer Wine, that i wish had been better thought out but i suppose we just have to accept that at the end of the day, it's a comedy programme and maybe we shouldn't be too critical about the odd hiccup now`n then.

G ; )

I suppose in the case of the "early" version of Clegg, where he doesn't show the fear of females, that we have come to associate him with, i assume that Roy Clarke was still settling the characters into their respective roles maybe?
There are a few things that crop up throughout the years of Summer Wine, that i wish had been better thought out but i suppose we just have to accept that at the end of the day, it's a comedy programme and maybe we shouldn't be too critical about the odd hiccup now`n then.

G ; )

True. I am not necessarily looking at it as a "hiccup", just an observation about character changes in general. Throughout all the eras, it is still LOTSW and is always a great show. But it is fun to compare different eras.

Series 5 was rumoured to be the last. Though the show was doing well. At this time Roy Clarke was involved with Potter, Rosie and possibly the advent of the return of Open All Hours.

Series 6 was quite different in some ways. Alan JW Bell directed for the first time, and is certainly keen on location work.

Series 7 saw the brief return of Sydney Lotterby. Series 7 is perhaps more low key like series 5.

Of course, the writing is directly anything to do with the director.

Series 8 from Bell is quite action packed like series 6.

Series 5 was rumoured to be the last. Though the show was doing well. At this time Roy Clarke was involved with Potter, Rosie and possibly the advent of the return of Open All Hours.

Series 6 was quite different in some ways. Alan JW Bell directed for the first time, and is certainly keen on location work.

Series 7 saw the brief return of Sydney Lotterby. Series 7 is perhaps more low key like series 5.

Thanks for the info WSTOL, it is very informative. I am currently toward the end of Series 7 and at the moment it is my favorite series up to that point. I have to disagree with you in that I also think that is rather action packed and somewhat faster paced. I have a personal tendency toward that style. I do appreciate the insight.

I heard the reason there was a gap was because he was committeded to writing Keeping Up Aprearances. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

I just started with the first two episodes of season 8. Summer wine is always a great show with strong characters, great scripts, witty dialogue, scenery etc. Sometimes the humor is more subtle and builds slowly. However, with series 8 the comedy is more bold and constant. While the humor in a lot of the older (perhaps Lotterby-directed) series were subtle and collective, Series 8 really starts with a comedic bang. There are more scenes in Series 8 that are purely hilarious to the point where I am laughing off of my chair. But that might just be me and my own taste. I like all eras but Series 8 looks like it will be one of my very favorites.

I have seen most episodes and all series but go through one era at a time and it has been a while since I reached this era. So it is sort of like I am watching it for the very first time. Plus, a lot of times when I watch Summer wine I ave kids running around and simply don't recall every detail.

Really makes you wonder how Roy Clarke kept all of his scripts separate.

I still find it difficult to believe that every LOTSW script that Roy Clarke wrote was made into a show.There must be some that never made it to the screen that maybe could be turned into books

Really makes you wonder how Roy Clarke kept all of his scripts separate.

I still find it difficult to believe that every LOTSW script that Roy Clarke wrote was made into a show.There must be some that never made it to the screen that maybe could be turned into books

There maybe a gold mine of half finished/rejected scripts somewhere, it would be great to find them :)

I think they will be found but not at this moment as it is a bit too early. When LOTSW start to be forgotten the scripts will emerge.

I hope so Compo, even just to read them would be fascinating.
Would be interresting to see what diction Roy was taking the show and if any were rejected from earlier series that would be very interresting to read.

I bet there's all sorts of un-used scripts that may get published one day. There may be a script for the episode that was supposed feature both Seymour and Foggy (NOT Return of the Warrior). And probably some scenes for other actors who unexpectedly left the show for whatever reason.

I bet there's all sorts of un-used scripts that may get published one day. There may be a script for the episode that was supposed feature both Seymour and Foggy (NOT Return of the Warrior). And probably some scenes for other actors who unexpectedly left the show for whatever reason.

that episode was crums but i think it was re-written with howard replacing foggy and some other changes

You know, George, I'm thinking ..... MANY books could emerge from unused
scripts. I wonder what Roy C. would think of all our ramblings! ;)

I enjoy series 6 overall, probably the most consistent series out of them all! Just a perfect feel.

Also The first series to change the view of the Cafe, and in the last few episodes, Nora is seen painting it white.

I think overall, that series 6 was just about the best ever. Had Sid still been with us then series 8 would have been the best. Both are magnificent and when the show was in its pomp.
Sid was a massive loss to the show, but it shows how good series 8 was that it was still excellent despite him not being there.
Sid and Wally were the best 'incidental' characters that the show ever had.
While it always recovered and evolved from all losses those two characters were big gaps to fill.

Back