Referring back to a very old post on an earlier version of this forum

Marianna

Dedicated Member
This was posted today on the Holmfirth History Facebook group. Several years ago, a member of this forum, might have been Barmpot, posted a photo of the derelict building. It was for sale at the time. The last time I passed it, two years ago, the roof and walls were gone, leaving only the floor and the fryer along the short wall where the smokestack is located in this old photo. I can't find the original photo on this forum or the one I posted two years ago, hence the new thread.

Apparently someone purchased it. The conversation generated by the photo includes a plan by the current owner to restore it using old photos and operate it as a chippy. See posts dated September 6, 2019 on the Holmfirth History Facebook group. Even if you're not a Facebook member, you can look at the postings to that group. Just enter "Holmfirth History" in the URL field at the top of the screen.

Attachments

• Holmbridge Chippy.jpg
    Holmbridge Chippy.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
I posted a few pictures a few years ago but they were on my photobucket account that i deleted, losing all my photos. I've got some other pics of it somewhere, I will have a look when I get home. Currently in Shropshire a la campervan!

That's excellent news, I love to hear of any old place getting restored. I will live in hope of getting a chance to sample their fish and chips.

I posted a few pictures a few years ago but they were on my photobucket account that i deleted, losing all my photos. I've got some other pics of it somewhere, I will have a look when I get home. Currently in Shropshire a la campervan!
It occurred to me in the middle of the night that it might have been one of yours, and that my image from a few of years ago might have been in response to that one.

Strictly speaking, if the proposed work happens, it will be a reproduction, not a restoration, since almost none of the original structure still exists. If the owners are planning to use old photographs as guides, it should turn out to be a convincing reproduction, especially if they can find or make the gingerbread trim that edges the roof on the gable ends.

Part of the conversation connected to the Holmfirth HIstory post mentioned that the previous owner of the chippy now owns a B&B, the Corn Loft Guest House, across the road and a short distance north-east, toward Holmfirth. Of course, I couldn't resist looking at the web site. In addition to the usual amenities, there's a stairlift for guests who can't climb stairs unaided. That could be helpful after a long day out. The guest house is a short walk from bus stops into and back from Holmfirth, or a reasonable walk to Holmfirth for a strong walker. It's a pleasant walk from the guest house down the hill to the house used in LOTSW for the Pegdens' residence. The site of Wesley's shed is a not too far further along from the house. Might be a good base for a visit to the area.

Credit where due! It was ferret's post and photo in reply to a post entitled "Hello" from Fish 'n Chip Lover posted on December 14, 2017.

Whereabouts in Shropshire? my beautiful county!!!!

TE="Barrychuckle, post: 221292, member: 409"]Whereabouts in Shropshire? my beautiful county!!!![/QUOTE]
We've been in Shrewsbury, I love the town centre and we've spent this weekend at the Yesteryear Rally in Malpas. Just back over the border back in our native Cheshire :) A great time was had by all.

That is good news that the previous owner is still in the area. Hopefully they are willing to be a reference for the rebuilding of the old chippie shop. Maybe they will have some pictures to go by as well as any other sources. I looked up their B&B, could be a nice place to stay. Thank you on that, Marianna.

Back