Red Dwarf for Captain Clutterbuck & other officianados

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
Just seen the first episode of the new series. Won't spoil it for those who have yet to see it, but I thought it wasn't too bad..certainly better than the low foreboding feeling I had about it.

Definitely had more of the old original "feel" to it.

My overwhelming response to it is OMG Kryten has got FAAAAAAAT. :oops::eek:

One week and counting to go for myself and those in the UK :31: . Talking of Kryten , Robert Llewellyn , on breaks for RD and Scrapheap Challenge, started a show called Carpool where he interviewed stars whilst driving them from A to B . I watched a lot of the episodes and they were excellent . Well that James Corden , he of the Late Show and Gavin and Stacey in the UK , has only gone and tea leaved the idea , changed it to add a bit of Karaoke and is going down a storm in the US .

I felt obliged to tweet said James Corden telling him he'd half inched the idea from Robert and I expected he would be giving him the credit he deserves in due course [ and a guy called Venners who also did a bit of Karaoke with footballers in their car on a show called Soccer AM ] . Of course he has not answered but it had to be said.

I have to admit RD was not on TV here either, and I thought there was another week to go before it aired over there, but it popped up on a certain download site and I couldn't resist it, so "half inched" it.

My brain has finally kicked into gear and what I was really trying to say in my previous post was that the show was better than expected (actually ...dreaded) but still not as good as I hoped for! I can dream!!!!!:21:

I have seen some of Robert's Carpool shows and am aware of Corden's version but haven't seen any and don't really want to.

Yes I also found RD on a download site and will watch it tonite.

Is this to become a new series? Had not heard anything about
it then stumbled into it on RAR-BAG (heh).

btw - with the changes here in the US to my Frontier
phone and internet provider, I can not get most download
sites (such as piratebay and tvchaosuk) to work anymore
at all. Gonna need a solution to this soon!

Good news to hear that Red Dwarf is going back to the old feel of the show! I am patiently waiting for the new series to start. I thought series 10 was well done and much better than the previous series.

Chuck, sorry to hear about your IP troubles. Yes, this is new series 10*. They recently finished filming series 10 and 11 back to back**. They will show 10 shortly and 11 next year... from what I have read**.

I think there is a browser for said download site that might help you. Possibly it is an older firefox browser specially for that site. I don't know a whole lot about it or if it would help circumnavigate your problem.

Cheers,
Rick

Edit
* Meant 11
** Meant 11 and 12

Last edited:
Rick, just a slight correction, you are right in everything except the series numbers, this is Series 11 with S12 to follow.

As for the quality of the show, storyline and actors etc. in detail, I think it best to wait until most people have watched the new show so they can make their own evaluation without any spoilers,
so I will hold off on that for now.

In the meantime Smegheads the small rouge one is BACK!!!!:37:

You are right, Brian. I miss typed my numbers. Thanks on that. I went back and added some notes.

Thank you as well for not posting spoilers. We can always post a spoiler alert notice beforehand so others can skip past that bit if they want. Good to see another smeghead around. :18:

Sure there was some other show where they numbered the series incorrectly when it was released to DVD. It's on the tip of my tongue just cannot think what it was , if only there was some website you could log onto where lots of people who love the show post items about it I may be able to ascertain what that show is ? :08::08::08::08::08::08:

Just seen the first episode of the new series. Won't spoil it for those who have yet to see it, but I thought it wasn't too bad..certainly better than the low foreboding feeling I had about it.

Definitely had more of the old original "feel" to it.

My overwhelming response to it is OMG Kryten has got FAAAAAAAT. :oops::eek:

Just watched it certainly they re-measured Kryten's suit and Lister certainly is carrying more timber but I enjoyed the episode as you state certainly better than expected Brian.

I think "re-measured his suit" is an UNDERSTATEMENT :08: ( I shouldn't really comment, his new suit would probably have been to SMALL for me 12 months ago! LOL:laugh:)

Did you think that "Lister" basically "phoned in" his performance?

I'm happy you boys have something to occupy you. One of our cats was called Smeg because of Red Dwarf.

It deteriorated further in terms of occupying my time , a bit like LOTSW , I could not resist watching the other two episodes of Dwarf that they aired last night following the new one , even though I have seen them many times and own the DVD's . I then spotted that they were showing an episode from series 8 at 00:40 concluding at 01:15 so stayed up and watched that , even though I have seen it before and own the DVD. It becomes irresistible like watching LOTSW [as I type this Just a Small Funeral is on] . I think it's the quality of these shows when compared to what they concoct and present as programmes in the present day , not everything , but I would say the majority.

Hi Pearl, was it actually NAMED "Smeg"? or was it just called "That SMEGGING Cat!"? :08:

No he was called Smeg the cat, he was one of my favourites in that he'd eat what he was given and didn't like me enough to bring me any "Presents".

I now have even more new found respect for Pearl for calling her cat Smeg. :18:

Kinda thought Scutter would be an interesting name for a pet as well. Sadly, I personally only know one other person who has heard of, let alone like Red Dwarf. :(

I've been able to watch the first two episodes of this season. I'm liking it so far. Looking forward to the next.

Yes, it does seem that some of them have put on a few pounds. Looking at you, Kryten. I imagined it would take an episode or two for them to get back into their old characters. The writing for Cat is spot on. Laughed out loud when Cat was so quick to point the finger at Lister and Arnold when the mechanoids were asking who was who. So typical of Cat. Plus Cat's history lesson to Lister - laughable. The story, writing , acting all seem to be good and true to their roots.

Maybe I have gotten used to longer episodes due to watching * Gran Hotel and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet! plus others. One hour show versus half hour shows. It seems the Dwarf episodes as soon as there is a nice build up of the plot the show is wrapping up and the ending is there. Probably my fault and I need to get used to a shorter format again. Could be I am so wrapped up into the show it seems like it is over before I know it and wishing that it went on longer. All in all I am liking them and it is nice to see new content come out for an old favorite of a show.

* Corrected a miss type.

Last edited:
Back