Red Dwarf 13 for 2019

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Good news fellow Dwarfers they will be filming series 13 in early 2019 for release in late 2019. I just discovered this. If you already knew then you are on the ball.

Articles to confirm are dated for late April 2018. They mention the main four - Danny, Craig, Robert and Chris but no mention about Holly / Hilly. Doug Naylor is writer / director but Rob Grant is not mentioned. Guess the two have still not decided to join together to continue writing.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/3069/red_dwarf_series_13/

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/red-dwarf/273071/red-dwarf-series-13-confirmed

Thank you Rick for the information I knew they were broadcasting in 2019 but no dates yet . But for a brief appearance of Holly[ Norman Lovett version] I think they seem to have ditched Holly for now which is a shame cannot think Hatty Hayridge would come back as she was unhappy that Norman , having realised his mistake at leaving, had negotiated a return . I liked both so either would be welcomed back by myself .

I cannot see Rob Grant getting back with Doug Naylor, the rift is deep I suppose its a godsend that Doug is still enamoured enough with the show to continue writing and it is a testimony of the actor's friendship that they wish to continue to make the show.

Last edited:
Glad to help, captain. I agree that both Holly and Hilly were great and that Norman second guessed leaving the show.

Thought Queeg was pretty funny too, taking over Rimmer's body and making him do keep fit exercises. Plus Pree was a laugh too with her predicting what the crew would do before they did it. Kryten and Rimmer arguing over customizing her appearance had me rolling with laughter.

I had forgotten that Doug and Rob parted ways but had no idea it was such a long term and deep rift. Maybe one day they will mend some fences. If Norah can let bygones be with the lady who insulted her hat, maybe there is hope.

Great news I hope they continue in the same vein as last series I much prefer the one off monster of the week type episodes that are loosely tied together over what they tried previously

If any of you get to watch this please report in on how it is. Might be some time before it makes it's way across the Atlantic. Cap, when you say documentary 'series' are you saying they are making multiple parts of the documentary?

If any of you get to watch this please report in on how it is. Might be some time before it makes it's way across the Atlantic. Cap, when you say documentary 'series' are you saying they are making multiple parts of the documentary?
I find it really interesting the fact you're so into your British comedies, you probably know more about many than me Rick!

How do you find our comedy compares with US comedies and do you tend to watch both? Have to say I do find things like The Simpsons & Family Guy really funny, but I struggle to get the jokes on other US sitcoms

Last edited:

Hello Rick,

Yes it's a three part documentary each part is an hour in length.

Thanks, Cap. Glad to see there is still such a strong interest in the show.

Barry, I am fond of quite a few British shows. I do like some of the U.S. ones as well. Just some of them I just do not find as funny. Not sure how to describe it. They try too hard to be funny or the humor just falls flat for me. Family Guy and Simpsons are classics. Watched them a lot when the shows where newer. Not so much the last part of their runs. The infusion of what I call 'reality tv' long ago pushed me to be more selective in what I seek out to watch.

Thanks, Cap. Glad to see there is still such a strong interest in the show.

Barry, I am fond of quite a few British shows. I do like some of the U.S. ones as well. Just some of them I just do not find as funny. Not sure how to describe it. They try too hard to be funny or the humor just falls flat for me. Family Guy and Simpsons are classics. Watched them a lot when the shows where newer. Not so much the last part of their runs. The infusion of what I call 'reality tv' long ago pushed me to be more selective in what I seek out to watch.
As I said i find it wonderful, that so many people from the US love LOTSW, and credit to you guys, even I struggle to understand Compo's Yorkshire dialect in some of the early episodes !!

I think from what I've read US sitcoms are often written by teams of writers rather than individuals, and sometimes I find them overacted a bit. Having said that some of the classics like Cheers or MASH are superb.

Big fan of Cheers and spin off Frazier. I also liked Rhoda which is probably a surprise to some but I liked her interaction with Carlton the Doorman( Lorenzo music who I didn't know was an actual actor I thought it was a company producing the voice electronically) and her mother played by the wonderfully acerbic Ruth Walker.

If you are a fan of Kelsey Grammer from the great shows of Cheers and Frasier might I suggest the lesser known Back to You. Kelsey plays a news anchor for a TV station that returns after 10 years away working in the big cities. His former news co-anchor played by the lovely Patrica Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond, The Middle) is still there. The writing and chemistry between the two is spot on. Currently watching the DVD of it I ordered some time ago. Sadly there is only just the one season.

Rhoda was a great spin off from the excellent Mary Tyler Moore Show. I remember watching them on TV growing up. M*A*S*H is another amazing classic I watched daily growing up.

I have heard many US shows have a room full of writers that can crank out a dozen or so shows a season. I think it can change the essence of the show as opposed to a single or handful of writers as it seems to be done in the UK.

In recent years Sienfeld and particularly Curb your Enthusiasm have been cited as ground-breaking and masterpieces of comedy . I manage with Seinfeld but really struggled with Curb . I have watched it a few times but I just dont get it or understand why it has received all the accolades . How do any of you view it and what are your thoughts , quite prepared to give it another shot if anyone thinks it's worth persevering.

Two and a half men is one of the few recent US comedy's I would rate. Top writing and casting and brilliantly irreverent, sexist(sorry Pearl) and non PC.

Hope my fellow Dwarf fans have been able to watch the 3 part Documentary series on Dave. I have just watched part two and LOTSW gets a mention . The visual effects team that worked on Dwarf also worked on LOTSW and mention is made of the fact that every time Compo went down a hill in a Bathtub for example the team were the people behind building the props and making sure that the effects were realistic .

Hope my fellow Dwarf fans have been able to watch the 3 part Documentary series on Dave. I have just watched part two and LOTSW gets a mention . The visual effects team that worked on Dwarf also worked on LOTSW and mention is made of the fact that every time Compo went down a hill in a Bathtub for example the team were the people behind building the props and making sure that the effects were realistic .
I saw that. Nice for LotSW to get a mention

Last edited:
Back