Random Questions

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Hello Brit Brethren and Fellow Yanks,

I am just finishing my Spring Break and I report back to work tomorrow. My job and family demands don't allow me here much, and I only got to catch a few season 6 episodes while I was on break. For example, I missed Odd Dog Men due to my sons' dentist appointments. Well, there is be another time where I can focus on the show more.

Catching a few season 6 episodes led me to a few questions. I haven't bought any Summer Wine books yet, but that might change this summer. The books might have the answers to these questions, but bare with me as I ask them anyway.

1. I got to see Wesley's debut in Car and Garter. As they created the episode, was it intended that Wesley was going to be a permanent character?

2. At what point, did Clarke, Lotterby, and others determine that Last of the Summer Wine was going to go on for decades? There have been so many successful British sitcoms over the years that lasted just a few seasons and then ended for whatever reason (such as writers deciding it was time to move on). Did they contemplate ending the show after Michael Bates left? Also, after Foggy moved on the first time, they decided to keep the show going as well. I just don't know if there ever came a point where Roy Clarke decided to keep writing Summer Wine as long as possible. I know this was discussed before, but I need to be refreshed.

As I report back to work tomorrow, I will be quite busy until mid June. You will likely hear from me more then.

Cheers

Question # 1 Cod , that is a no but The audience reception changed the minds of the powers that be!

#2 This is difficult , They wanted to keep going while it was popular but it became like Topsy "It just growed! I may be slightly wrong about this but I'm not too far away! ;)

I think Dick is right; it was the big surge in popularity in the earlier Foggy era that sealed it as an enduring institution, Until then it had been OK but nothing special. It changed when it was shown earlier so the smoking and slightly naughty words were left out to be more family friendly. if you look at the Blamire series it was alittle more gritty in places.

I think Dick is right; it was the big surge in popularity in the earlier Foggy era that sealed it as an enduring institution, Until then it had been OK but nothing special. It changed when it was shown earlier so the smoking and slightly naughty words were left out to be more family friendly. if you look at the Blamire series it was alittle more gritty in places.

Thanks Dick and Barmpot for your responses. I might just carry this a little further. So the show turned to a more permanent program when it started appealing to the masses with the addition of Foggy. OK, so here is my next question (because the changes of ers in Summer Wine has always been one of my favorite topics).

What make Roy Clarke and Sydney Lotterby go in a more "family friendly" direction? Did they simply think that the adjustment suited the character of Foggy better? Or did they have an earlier interest in keeping the show around longer and getting higher ratings?

I believe Michael Bates would have stayed on if it weren't for health reasons. Clarke had the ability to make the show more family friendly with Blamire. Thanks in advance for sharing thoughts.

Hiya Cod. I think the latter. They thought it might extend the life of the show and itroducing more characters to make it appeal to a wide audience.

Hello Cod ,

I think neither ,at the time the higher echelons in the BBC management particularly Bill Cotton [who I think was head of light entertainment and controller of BBC 1 throughout the 70's] were probably deliberating the future of the show when Michael Bates announced he was leaving . I personally think the management came down in favour of retaining the show[thankfully] but insisted that it was written in a far more friendly way .

Dad's Army was under the same scrutiny but not for the same reasons when Tom Sloan was the head of light entertainment ,the and Paul Fox ,he then controller questioned keeping the show , but for their then golden boy David Croft it would have probably been cancelled .

The BBC at that time was autocratic, it is astonishing the power these people wielded and how they could singularly decide if a show was made or otherwise.

You may be right Captain but I am of the opinion like I said "It just growed". For a long period in the 70s/80s the Beeb were trying to keep up with the others ratings wise and kept an eye on things. The ratings were fairly good so they kept on with the show. The change of producer certainly helped and as for the new characters just look at the "Street" or "EastEnders" for the take on changes.

Back