Rambling Thoughts

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Watched DCI Banks last evening. I have read quite a few of the books by Peter Robinson including the one with same title as this episode, "Strange Affair". Noted that "they" had brought in a new character, DI Morton, who as far as I can recall, does not appear in the book.

Obviously one raison d'être for this injected character is as a vehicle to move Caroline Catz along from "Doc Martin". My analysis - it just does not work - she is just totally wrong for this role.

Relevance of DCI Banks to LOTSW? As I watched her stumble thought the role I was reminded of Russ Abbot and Hobbo. I suppose writing for television is inherently different from writing for the stage, particularly with a long running sitcom. For the stage the characters are not written with a particular actor in mind. They must be capable of being played by any performer in the general age category etc for the role. I do feel that sometimes television is written too much for a particular actor. Far better to create the character and then find the actor to fill it.

Just a rambling thought. And I just ordered the Alan JW Bell book from Amazon.

This should be interesting as I downloaded it this morning and seeing it tonight. I will be checking out what you said. Thanks.

order it threw the summer wine shop unc, tht way u get alan bells signiture on it, ive done it tht way cause im not going 2 the launch on the 4th but still get the signiture

order it threw the summer wine shop unc, tht way u get alan bells signiture on it, ive done it tht way cause im not going 2 the launch on the 4th but still get the signiture

Call me miserly by all means but through Amazon I get it for £17. Through the Shop it costs me nigh on £23 after addition of P & P. Do I want to pay £6 for a signature? Not my thing.

Obviously one raison d'être for this injected character is as a vehicle to move Caroline Catz along from "Doc Martin".

Whoa! Does that mean that Doc Martin ain't coming back??

I'd heard that Martin Clunes is coming back. What else
has he been doing???

Obviously one raison d'être for this injected character is as a vehicle to move Caroline Catz along from "Doc Martin".

Whoa! Does that mean that Doc Martin ain't coming back??

I'd heard that Martin Clunes is coming back. What else
has he been doing???

I did not intend to imply end of Doc Martin. Looks like one more (sixth and last series) next year.

Call me miserly by all means but through Amazon I get it for £17. Through the Shop it costs me nigh on £23 after addition of P & P. Do I want to pay £6 for a signature? Not my thing.

no thts fair enough, i didnt kno if u knew or not but if its not ur thing then fine, was just a suggestion.

Watched DCI Banks last evening. I have read quite a few of the books by Peter Robinson including the one with same title as this episode, "Strange Affair". Noted that "they" had brought in a new character, DI Morton, who as far as I can recall, does not appear in the book.

Obviously one raison d'être for this injected character is as a vehicle to move Caroline Catz along from "Doc Martin". My analysis - it just does not work - she is just totally wrong for this role.

Relevance of DCI Banks to LOTSW? As I watched her stumble thought the role I was reminded of Russ Abbot and Hobbo. I suppose writing for television is inherently different from writing for the stage, particularly with a long running sitcom. For the stage the characters are not written with a particular actor in mind. They must be capable of being played by any performer in the general age category etc for the role. I do feel that sometimes television is written too much for a particular actor. Far better to create the character and then find the actor to fill it.

I cant stand Stephen Tompkinson. He makes me feel so miserable. Why can't they give him a fun roles sometimes.

no thts fair enough, i didnt kno if u knew or not but if its not ur thing then fine, was just a suggestion.

Many thanks for that - I must admit that I do tend to go to Amazon instinctively (particularly now theyt are a major local employer) but in this instance I was aware of "The Shop" before Amazon put it on sale.

Many thanks for that - I must admit that I do tend to go to Amazon instinctively (particularly now theyt are a major local employer) but in this instance I was aware of "The Shop" before Amazon put it on sale.

as long as u was aware of it thts fine, didnt want u 2 miss out on it if u wanted the signature.

I cant stand Stephen Tompkinson. He makes me feel so miserable.

Used to kinda like him in BallyK.

He is a good actor, but he always seems to get parts that make you sad, and I don't do sad if I can help it. There was this wonderful nativity play a few years ago which was really funny, the kids were played by grown up actors. Most of the 'kids' were funny, but he played a sad little boy whose folks had split up but he had hoped that his dad would come to see him with his mum. Of course she brought the new man in her life and as I say, I hate sad stuff. It spoiled it for me.

Back