railways

gremlin

Dedicated Member
yes Holmfirth and lotsw only mentioned in passing really, but got to thinking about great british railway journeys on mainline....the settle to Carlisle is fantastic but one of my favourites is the machynnleth to barmouth in west wales.....what a beautiful hours journey fot about 7 pounds...what are other peoples favourites ?

The trip from Huddersfield to Sheffield via Stocksmore and Penistone is a very good journey with lovely scenery a trip through the Cotswolds for Oxford is good but for me the West Highland from Glasgow to Oban and then via Rannoch Moor to Fort William is the best.Perth to Inverness is pretty spectaclurar all these can accessed by a Brit Rail Pass for our friends across the pond and a rail pass here in the UK.

The trip from Huddersfield to Sheffield via Stocksmore and Penistone is a very good journey with lovely scenery a trip through the Cotswolds for Oxford is good but for me the West Highland from Glasgow to Oban and then via Rannoch Moor to Fort William is the best.Perth to Inverness is pretty spectaclurar all these can accessed by a Brit Rail Pass for our friends across the pond and a rail pass here in the UK.

Now your talking my language Chris. We drive from the Midlands straight up to Inverness we stay there and travel all round the Highlands.
The trip to Skye is amazing as is the the trip to Fort William through Fort Augustus, the locks are beautiful. Torridon is incredible.

I also enjoy railway journeys,I have a railcard to keep the cost down,last year we went York to Inverness for £29 each way first class,which is great value,some years ago we did a circular route,started at Kings Cross at 7am, traveled up the East Coast,stopped at Edinburgh where a pipe band was waiting for us, we did the trip over the forth bridge,then off to Glasgow and returned to Euston via the west coast arriving at 10pm,we got breakfast,lunch and evening dinner all served at our seats in first class old rolling stock, cost back then £65 per person

Back