R.I.P Mike Denness

As an armchair fan I remember Mike Denness ,one of the great captains both county and national :'(

As an armchair fan I remember Mike Denness ,one of the great captains both county and national :'(

Highly interesting character, the only Scot to captain the England test side:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...es-aged-72-after-long-battle-with-cancer.html

Not sure if his batting was truly up to test standard - a bit like Ramprakash who was brilliant at county level. Of course, to play at Test level a Scot still has to make it into the England side (or a test playing country side).

Interesting in the light of our discussions on the make-up of the UK. I think it is still the England and Wales Cricket Board. I seem to recall that at one time the Test Side was England at home but toured as the MCC.

When you think Unc about the number of South Africans , Rhodesian/Zimbabwean? and others that have qualified for England over the years, what Mike Denness did was out of the ordinary. I forget what nationality Tony Greig was but I am fairly sure he was not English. I mean both Scotland and Ireland have national teams now. Maybe Wales will get a national side one day :)

Just did some research Unc and it turns out Tony Greig was South Africa born , of Scottish parentage . Thats how he qualified to play for England! ::) ;D ;)

Back