Question

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
For years my wife and I have drifted off into our nighttime sleep whilst watching LOTSW. Last night we decided to have a change. I searched through my discs and found the ideal gentle program. Last night we put the selected disc into the DVD player. We were lulled into sleep by two of TV's well known comedy actors, David Jason and Peter Sallis. There were other well known people in the show also including a 'Sir'. Definitely a show for all ages.
Question. What were we watching? :rolleyes:

Clue... It might bring to mind a gale blowing across a cricket pitch. Mmm, I think that is too Good a clue.

What an interesting show, Peri, thanks. Had no idea what you meant before looking it up. Think I will give some of these a watch. After a brief glimpse I am liking the animation style similar to Wallace & Grommet along with Sallis' voice. As well as Jason's style of Danger Mouse and Count Duckula vibes. I half keep waiting to hear him shout Igor, Nanny !!! :21:

Not sure if I should say what the title is since I cheated by looking it up. Being on the other side of the pond it is not something I would have other wise had access to.

I like the idea of these two iconic actors together in a show.

I cheated and looked it up too. Yes, that's a lovely show. The songs from it are available online. They sound like they are having a great time. By the way, there is also an audio recording of Peter Sallis reading an audio book of Postman Pat available on YouTube.

RickAns! I never realized that Jason had been Danger Mouse! That's wonderful.

As yet the program I am referring to has not been mentioned. I rather expected that y'all would have leapt on this.
Whilst I am here I would like to inform you that my recent illness was not caused by that horrible molecular bad germ called 'covid'.
I will leave you now to ponder over my question. Hey, in this short message there are three more clues. :29:....Or is it four?

I know what it is but won't say to give others a chance. I used to love this as a kid but certain characters related to the Mustelidae family used to creep me out.
Oops! Another clue. Sorry, Peri. :fp:

@Eithne my apologies on the mix up with Danger Mouse. I discovered it about the same time as Count Duckula and lump the two together at times. Alexander Armstrong is the voice of DM, not David Jason. :oops:

They are fav cartoons which I rank them up there with Honk Kong Phooey, Scooby-Doo, Pink Panther, etc.

Last edited:
Ok, thank you Barry! I knew there was a connection. I was in doubt just a moment ago about it and googly pointed me to Alexander Armstrong.

Add - Did not know there was a remake, should have looked at the dates.

@Eithne my apologies on the mix up with Danger Mouse. I discovered it about the same time as Count Duckula and lump the two together at times. Alexander Armstrong is the voice of DM, not David Jason. :oops:

They are fav cartoons which I rank them up there with Honk Kong Phooey, Scooby-Doo, Pink Panther, etc.

Top Cat/Boss Cat depending on what side of the pond you are on was probably one of the better series, based on Phil Silvers Sgt Bilko. I remember , as well as other shows and films from the US , that a pastrami on rye sandwich was mentioned frequently . I recall Officer Dribble sorry Dibble had one often and TC always tried to purloin it from him with some clever ruse . When I was lucky enough to go to the Big Apple I went in search of Katz Deli absolutely determined to have that very same sandwich. I did and boy was I not disappointed. :)

Top Cat/Boss Cat depending on what side of the pond you are on was probably one of the better series, based on Phil Silvers Sgt Bilko. I remember , as well as other shows and films from the US , that a pastrami on rye sandwich was mentioned frequently . I recall Officer Dribble sorry Dibble had one often and TC always tried to purloin it from him with some clever ruse . When I was lucky enough to go to the Big Apple I went in search of Katz Deli absolutely determined to have that very same sandwich. I did and boy was I not disappointed. :)

Great recommendation, if not for the cartoon itself, the great talent involved. Arnold Stang (Top Cat) and Marvin Kaplin (Choo-choo) may be remembered along with comedian Jonathan Winters as the three nut-case gas station attendants in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Rick, I love Hong Kong Phooey too! However, I was the odd child with the bit of tattered blanket tied around my shoulders pretending I was Underdog. I jumped off the front porch and fractured my wrist.
Underdog, Tennesse Tuxedo and the original version of the Ant and the Aardvark were my favorites.

Arnold Stang (Top Cat) and Marvin Kaplin (Choo-choo) may be remembered along with comedian Jonathan Winters as the three nut-case gas station attendants in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Well that's one of my favourite films ever I know it so well but stuff my boots I never associated Arnold Stang and Marvin Kaplin from the film as being the voices of TC and Choo-choo . In my defence I have never invested the effort I put into LOTSW into that film I simply love to watch it so an absolute huge thank you Eithne for imparting that piece of knowledge . I am going to watch it again with fresh eyes .

Aside from the film I remember Jonathan Winters with great affection from the Andy Williams Show which used to be broadcast here in the UK he was just so funny and I remember Andy Williams struggling not to corpse [laugh for those who don't know the term] and failing miserably . I always thought he and Dom deLuise were somehow related because they have a similar look and certainly both have the ability to generate chaos and make you cry with laughter.

Back