Pubs.

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Ok the boys are usually seen enjoying a tipple in the White Horse but over the 37 years the show aired they used Dozens of others. How many Pubs seen in the show can we name.

Re: Pubs NOT USED

Then one wonders, why not The Nook or the Old Bridge
or The Postcard or the Farmer's Arms in Holmfirth, or
The Red Lion in Jackson Bridge?? Or The Fleece in Holme?

(obtw - looks like the old Butcher's Arms has moved and
become a fancy res-tau-rant.)

Well it sure wasn't a few years ago when we last stopped in
for a drink and met a small group of overland hikers. Seems
to have moved now and become The Spiced Pear, but the
old Butcher's Arms is being advertized looking for a new manager.

Well it sure wasn't a few years ago when we last stopped in
for a drink and met a small group of overland hikers. Seems
to have moved now and become The Spiced Pear, but the
old Butcher's Arms is being advertized looking for a new manager.
Maybe they are looking for a new fictitious manager.... ;D

I recall that some pubs were renamed for the programme, especially in the earlier days.

Some might have been left out because they were unsuitable for filming (unable to site stuff safely or too much traffic) and some might have been unhappy at having any disruption.

The Swan in Marsden appears occasionally, I believe it was used as well ( I frequent that very pub once a month also). FYI the WhiteHouse as mentioned above has been turned into bloody flats recently! I was outraged when I saw it.

when in the marsden area we like The Riverhead Brewery Tap in town
just cause I like their beers, both the newer Osset brews and the
older Riverhead Tap brews.

Then a brief stroll along the canal gets us to the old
Tunnel End Inn down near the tunnel. From there is a
nice walk to an oft used SW bridge, and then a hike
up and around the hills and back to Tunnel End again.

The White Horse seems to be the favourite pub especially in the Foggy era,s the landlord was a real grump and his wife a very difficult woman to live with.Some of the earlier pubs used seemed to be real spit and sawdust establishments the one in the canoe episode with Blamire was horrible.But pubs in the sixties were grotty places with curled up sandwiches and pickled eggs ,the beer was not up to much either.We had a real grotty pub in Aylesbury but thank god it didn't last into the seventies,strange customers ,décor from the blitz,chairs that wobbled,tables sticky from spilt beer and other things.Do any of you remember Red Barrel one of the worst beers ever produced and Bass botteled beers.You folks up north have lovely beers Sam Smiths ,Stones,Black Sheep etc but down here now we have many micro breweries which offer some interesting beers.I don't go into pubs much these days but if I do I go to some of our village pubs especialy one with brilliant food. :presents:

Back