Programmes forgotten and missed

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Just flicked through programmes hit on an article on the dreadful One Show that caught my interest . It was about the programme Tomorrow's World , they had a feature on the great Raymond Baxter ex Spitfire Pilot and an absolutely consummate Presenter . It brought back memories seeing the clips and reinforced how much TV has dumbed down since those days . Ironically If I recall correctly it was aired at 7 pm ironically the same time this drivel they call the One Show does , no comparison .

Hi Capt. Yes remember watching Tomorrow's World when I was a kid a very interesting programme. Another presenter I seem to recall I think was William Woollard, do you know if that's right?

Raymond Baxter was a brilliant commentator as well he did formula one much better than the current lot on channel four.The programme went on for quite a while but lost its way as they dumbed it down seemed to go for sensational subjects the presenters weren't up to the job.Top Gear was good when it started think Angela Ripon was on it and they discussed motoring in a sensible manner not the programme now, rant over back to normal.

The Suits want and desire an audience that is guaranteed to consume. To that end, they deliberately have shows geared towards drivel and rant which not only attracts that type that responds to and enjoys the sensational but by only showing these type of programs, the general public learns to enjoy the rant, the drivel, and the sensational. Let's look at the example of cooking a frog. If you toss a frog into boiling water, he will jump out. But if you toss a frog into warm water and then gradually increase the heat, he will not notice he is being cooked.

I remember it in later years with someone called Judith Hamm presenting. I also recall a magazine programme called Nationwide

Another Tomorrow's World presenter I remember was Bob Symes.

Real name : Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmansdorff

he was also a very good railway modeller and had an exensive outdoor layout in Surrey. Also presetned a number of videos, DVDs on model railways.

Here in the US, WETA UK is dredging up gems such as In the Club which is about pregnant women; and Murder in Suburbia which is about murder in the suburbs. Very typical predicable story lines in predicable situations.

I cannot remember the name of series but it was set on a building site circa 1950,s gang of workers up to all sorts trouble very funny was on BBC,as an aside Home Fires is finished and an email from ITV basically said because it was for mature viewers they don't want to know.The networks are not giving us decent programing instead they are only interested in kids.

One show I used to watch when I was a teenager and I miss is Starsky & Hutch. I had a serious crush on David Soul. it was a must see on Sat night's Oh David!!

Michael Bentine's "It's A Square World". I loved his models with 'invisible' people (Western Gunfight, Flea Circus) all worked by bits of string, and the way he'd take the Michael of the powers that be. Unfortunately I believe most of the tapes were lost.

Michael Bentine's "It's A Square World". I loved his models with 'invisible' people (Western Gunfight, Flea Circus) all worked by bits of string, and the way he'd take the Michael of the powers that be. Unfortunately I believe most of the tapes were lost.

Such a darn shame, as a devotee of the GOONS I like anything" off the wall !!":13:

One show I used to watch when I was a teenager and I miss is Starsky & Hutch. I had a serious crush on David Soul. it was a must see on Sat night's Oh David!!
During the filming of this show, Paul Glasner's wife and child were both suffering from a strange and mysterious disease later to be identified as AIDS. Many years later David Soul appeared on Inspector Lewis.

The I miss is The World about Us, it was on on a Sunday evening and created by David Attenborough. I'll never forget the music. I hated the end music because that signaled bedtime and school in the morning. I think I learned more about subjects I was interested in from that program than I did at school.

Back