Portugal anyone?

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Hi all. Portugal has been popping up on my travel news feeds recently. Seems like a really nice place to visit. Some are also saying a potential place they would like to even possibly retire there in the future.

I wondered how many on here have been there and what their thoughts on the place are. The location, weather, people and all seem appealing. Granted that the videos are meant to show the nicer side of things and to push their travel vlog agendas.

Playfully daydreaming that if the place is as nice as suggested. That moving there for a while might easier than to a place such as Holmfirth. The travel to explore the rest of Europe would be way easier than from across the far side of the Atlantic. Also trips to Holmfirth would be a short plane ride of a couple hours. I have the impression inter-Europe plane and train travel fares seem rather reasonable.

Portugal might be as good a place to live as reported. The following was posted by a member of the Holmfirth Community Group who lives in Portugal. Her supermarket shopping experience sounds so much more civilized than experiences here in the States.

"I have just returned from a lovely shopping experience in Lidl.......Villa Real, Portugal.

"Only allowing 20 people in at a time. A small calm queue . I was in within 3 mins. All shelves fully stocked . Nobody taking silly amounts , folk just doing a ‘normal’ shop. Social distancing at check outs. A lovely guy spraying hand gel on your hands as you leave the store if you wanted it.

"They have grasped the nettle here. Civic responsibility rules. There are enough food products to go around. There is no problem in the supply chain.
We are now in a State of Emergency here. The Portuguese have followed the rules and were ahead with implementing restrictions . We can see here if everybody does their little bit we might be in with a fighting chance of keeping ourselves and loved ones safe.

"It is a grey miserable day here pouring with rain..... however the rain is welcomed as they have had no rain all winter."

Attachments

• Portugal Lidl.jpg
    Portugal Lidl.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, Marianna for the info. There is a Lidl store not far from me and it is one of my favorite stores. I notice there is one in Holmfirth as well.

I wish there was some way of getting the Portugal letter to government to show them how it ""could "" be done !!! :fp::fp:

I wish there was some way of getting the Portugal letter to government to show them how it ""could "" be done !!! :fp::fp:
The New York State governor, Andrew Cuomo, has put the state on "pause", pretty much the same as Portugal's epidemic management, after 24 hours of urging social distancing with very little effect. The "pause" regulations are specific, limiting and have the force of law, although law enforcement is a bit thin on the ground in some areas. Because I'm an older person and asthmatic, I haven't been anywhere near anyone in ten days. In fact, I haven't been outside the house because it's either been raining or the air has been so cold that it makes me cough.

Last edited:
Thanks, Barry and Captain. My usual supermarket/pharmacy has a very good delivery service. Mail is still being delivered, so maintenance medications arrive on schedule. If I need a medical consultation, I'll use telemedicine - especially attractive now that the State government has removed the co-pay for that type of contact. There are lots of Kindle format mysteries available for loan from the local public library and from New York Public Library. As soon as the weather improves, I'll be outside walking on the bicycle/walking path that runs behind my house, and stepping off the path to maintain the required distance whenever someone passes.

It's all going to be OK, just different for the next several months.

Thanks, Barry and Captain. My usual supermarket/pharmacy has a very good delivery service. Mail is still being delivered, so maintenance medications arrive on schedule. If I need a medical consultation, I'll use telemedicine - especially attractive now that the State government has removed the co-pay for that type of contact. There are lots of Kindle format mysteries available for loan from the local public library and from New York Public Library. As soon as the weather improves, I'll be outside walking on the bicycle/walking path that runs behind my house, and stepping off the path to maintain the required distance whenever someone passes.

It's all going to be OK, just different for the next several months.
The local library is closed, of course, but they sent out a message that you need to keep and not return books that have been checked out. We've been doing OK, going out to do routine chores. And now that Spring is officially here, the garden is calling to me. So I will be out there digging and planting.

Back