Places in Yorkshire

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Today i booked my Yorkshire holiday for the end of August can anybody tell me if Hawoth or Thirsk are worth visiting.I will be going to Holmfirth,Scarboro and maybe another coastal town but need to fill two days any suggestions

Yeah, they are nice enough mate, so are Ripon and Richmond. I'm sure others will be able to give you proper information. It's all nice up there.

Yeah went to Richmond last year and was lovely actually was thinking about Ripon
for one of the days.Thanks Rob

Yeah went to Richmond last year and was lovely actually was thinking about Ripon
for one of the days.Thanks Rob

Lovely Abbey and countryside mate, nourishment for the soul. Lovely fresh air and views, perfect for a day out and a wander. There are places to eat and drink aswell, plenty of places.

Thirsk ain't much except for the All Creatures museum.
I never did find a pub I really liked, and the walking was
kinda nowhere. If you want to see Skeldale house,
drive by Askrigg (and grab a beer at The Crown).

I really like Haworth. You get a great Railway Children
walk, some neat pubs (Old White Lion, The Fleece,
and a bit down the roadin Stanbury is The Old Silent).
The butcher always has wonderful Stilton a a good price,
and the RR station is neat. Then there is the hike up
to Top Withens. Check this out:

http://myplace.frontier.com/~nciaffone/yorkshire2010/haworth.htm

Thirsk ain't much except for the All Creatures museum.
I never did find a pub I really liked, and the walking was
kinda nowhere. If you want to see Skeldale house,
drive by Askrigg (and grab a beer at The Crown).

I really like Haworth. You get a great Railway Children
walk, some neat pubs (Old White Lion, The Fleece,
and a bit down the roadin Stanbury is The Old Silent).
The butcher always has wonderful Stilton a a good price,
and the RR station is neat. Then there is the hike up
to Top Withens. Check this out:

http://myplace.frontier.com/~nciaffone/yorkshire2010/haworth.htm

Thanks will check it out by the way has anyone been to Marsden cos
i want to check out some summer wine locations

If you park behind the Marsden RR station you can walk the short walk
out to Tunnel End and it's pub along the canal path, as well as walk
back into Marsden town center to see Auntie's place. Be sure to
stop into the brew pub as well.

Apart from Scarboro and Bridlington can anybody tell me a good costal town to visit when i go in August......Oh but not Whitby cos i have also been there as well.
Thanks

Near Filey how about flamborough head. I know you said you didn't want to go to Scarborough or Brid but i believe these places are gods own country. Does the Birlington Bertie and the Bridlington Belle still run along the promenade up to Sewerby Hall? I think half my childhood memories are from those tractor train rides.

Near Filey how about flamborough head. I know you said you didn't want to go to Scarborough or Brid but i believe these places are gods own country. Does the Birlington Bertie and the Bridlington Belle still run along the promenade up to Sewerby Hall? I think half my childhood memories are from those tractor train rides.

There was a lot of regeneration going on two years ago so i cant remember just remember that i liked it there.Nice beach,I might try Flamborough head thanks James.

Amos, I'm not sure where you are from mate, but have you ever been up to the NW coast for a break? There are some lovely, tranquil, scenic places up there around Morecambe Bay. Grange Over Sands is a nice place, Cartmel is a lovely little village and you are within striking distance of the Lake District there.
For a change of scenery and a restful break it's beautiful.

I was thinking of taking a dales bus on one day.does anyone know anything about
Buckden,Kettlewell or starbotten are any of these places worth a visit

And if you walk back along to tow path away from Standedge, you will recognise lots of locations.

Just don't use the public loos in the town though. we went three years running and I swear they had not been cleaned for all of that time.

I can recommend Haworth, I really enjoyed my visit there last year. The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway is a lot of fun, and there's a bakery on the main shopping street with the biggest, best eccles cakes I've ever tasted.

I think Marsden and Standedge might also be worthwhile. A 20 minute walk will take you to a beautiful old packhorse bridge, where some Summer Wine scenes were filmed. I had a bike with me (hired from the Leeds rail station) and cycled back along the tow path into Huddersfield.

And if cycling appeals to you, a good trip is along the canal towpath from Leeds to Bingley. As Chuffer said, it's all nice up there.

And if you walk back along to tow path away from Standedge, you will recognise lots of locations.

Just don't use the public loos in the town though. we went three years running and I swear they had not been cleaned for all of that time.
I can recommend Haworth, I really enjoyed my visit there last year. The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway is a lot of fun, and there's a bakery on the main shopping street with the biggest, best eccles cakes I've ever tasted.

I think Marsden and Standedge might also be worthwhile. A 20 minute walk will take you to a beautiful old packhorse bridge, where some Summer Wine scenes were filmed. I had a bike with me (hired from the Leeds rail station) and cycled back along the tow path into Huddersfield.

And if cycling appeals to you, a good trip is along the canal towpath from Leeds to Bingley. As Chuffer said, it's all nice up there.

Thanks for your comments and veiws

Well said that man.

Thanks Chuffer. I'm also interested in other people's suggestions, as I'm planning another trip up to God's Own Country myself this summer.

Maybe I'll try a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway this time. I think that would be wonderful.

Thanks Chuffer. I'm also interested in other people's suggestions, as I'm planning another trip up to God's Own Country myself this summer.

Maybe I'll try a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway this time. I think that would be wonderful.

Did this last septemer from Grosmont to pickering lovely trip on a old steam train.Doing keighly and worth valley in August.

Back