pity the series didnt hit the heights of' '82 again

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
it was always popular but 30 years ago it was exceptionally popular 30 years ago. Still at least it ran another 28 years

Since satellite TV arrived with a much wider choice of chanels, no programs have had such high ratings, I suppose!

Roy Clarke always had an onwards and upwards attitude to LOTSW ,a couple of series later on (Hobo)didnt have that oomph but when you see others you know that they are good.Foggy was the best era and Seymour to a lesser degree the first episodes show how grubby the times were and compo looked positevly distgusting ,at least Foggy tidied him up!Comparing the show to whats on offer noe I think that it has been consistently excellent both in story lines and actors ,plus the sceneery of course,The new show on BBC1 about two elderly lovers is in the mould of LOTSW and has a brilliant cast but this is the only one.Sue you are right about all the channels ,gone are the days of one show beating everybody,now it is mostly overall mediocrity 90%from across the pond!

I expect you mean 'Last Tango in Hallifax'. Isn't it brilliant. I love Anne Read and Derek Jacobi. I also see that the DVD will be on sale after the series finishes!

I expect you mean 'Last Tango in Hallifax'. Isn't it brilliant. I love Anne Read and Derek Jacobi. I also see that the DVD will be on sale after the series finishes!
Last Tango in Halifax really does look like it's going to be a hit...even using film locations also used many times in last of the summer wine..ie,Marsden..car park by the red railings and river..where the respective daughters argue over a parking space..looking forward to episode two.. :)

I expect you mean 'Last Tango in Hallifax'.

[/quote]

Oh yes!! We just watched Last Tango in Halifax. What with
Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid ... wow!! Wasn't Anne the
cook in the re-do of Upstairs Downstairs? And of course we
have Derek Jacobi in Cadfael, Mist, and I Claudius.

Gonna keep downloading these. Really wonderful TV!!

Thanks again for the tip.

chuck

I read a piece written by Anne Reid about this latest comedy. She says that she is really just playing herself in this. Many years ago she was in Coronation Street. Her daughter,in Last Tango, is played by Sarah Lancashire, another escapee from the soap.

I like Anne Reid she was great in Dinnerladies and in the new show she plays it as herself ,it shows in the way it comes over.She is an extremely gifted actress and has been in some excellent plays both on stage and tv,as for Sarah Lancashire what a girl everything she does is brilliant .Some time ago she did a documentary on holidays at Blackpool and made one of the best docu,s I have seen.She is another actress that will get better and better as the years go on.There is a programe on Sunday nights at the moment Creakley Hall a realy good ghost show set somewhere in the north ,this at least shows that tv can be as good as years back.Does anybody watch the Killing on Saturday nights ,now this addictive tv and we want more like this.Watched the Isometric,s episode of LOTSW last night ,Compo admited the truth about his war service ,moble chemical toilet unit,the untouchables!!!

When Summer wine first aired in 1973, i would be about 19 years old and i wasn't all that aware of the programme until maybe 1978, which is when i first started taking an interest in it.
The one that sticks in my mind is "Greenfingers"...Le giant Carrot.
I started to seriously become obsessed in 1984, when i bought one of the first VHS recorders for £500, which was a decent amount of dosh back then.
I started recording every series from then on and in 1995, when i was living in South-west Cork, Ireland for a few years, the broadcast the the 1976 season, oh happy days, i had been waiting for that one for years.
Now that i have all the DVD's from series one, i look back at the 1970's episodes and realise that those were quite happy times for myself, carefree and plenty of work and things to do, oh how times have changed.

G ; )

I'm really enjoying Last Tango in Halifax. It doesn't fit right in my head though, Derek Jacobi with a Yorkshire accent. He's pretty good, though, isn't he? I met him when I was 15. That's a long time ago. But he'd just hit the big time with I Claudius and was really famous. My friend and I were visiting London and staying with her family there. We'd gone off on our own one day and out of the blue there was Mr Jacobi crossing the road in front of us. We asked him for his autograph and he sat with us and signed our bits of paper. He chatted with us, let us take photos of him and was so pleasant and delightful I think my friend and I fell in love with him! He was a really nice bloke.

I'm really enjoying Last Tango in Halifax. It doesn't fit right in my head though, Derek Jacobi with a Yorkshire accent. He's pretty good, though, isn't he? I met him when I was 15. That's a long time ago. But he'd just hit the big time with I Claudius and was really famous. My friend and I were visiting London and staying with her family there. We'd gone off on our own one day and out of the blue there was Mr Jacobi crossing the road in front of us. We asked him for his autograph and he sat with us and signed our bits of paper. He chatted with us, let us take photos of him and was so pleasant and delightful I think my friend and I fell in love with him! He was a really nice bloke.

I agree it makes a pleasant change for the BBC to put something watchable on, I did enjoy spotting that the car crash in episode 1 started in Skipton,but ended filming wise in Hebden Bridge

We watched the repeat of the repeat of Foyles War last evening. A lot of scenes are filmed in my home town of Farnham in Surrey. So we had a murder commited in a passage behind our library, and the body discovered somewhere else completely. Possibly Hastings, or perhaps not.

Back