Paula Wilcox Upstart Crow interview

RickAns

Dedicated Member
I just stumbled across this interview with Paula and really enjoyed it. It is an older interview - 2016. I'm really liking the new sitcom Upstart Crow. Mentioned this in another thread some time ago. Seen the first two series and considering buying the dvds to get the 3rd series which I have yet to see.

I know we have some Paula Wilcox fans on here and some Upstart Crow fans as well. Hopefully you will enjoy this interview also if you have not yet seen it. This is the first time I have seen her as herself and not acting a character. Seems she would be great fun to chat and hang out with. Plus she is a fan of Black Adder!

Anyway, about how close Upstart is to how things were in Shakespeare's day I could only guess. This interview is nice in that it shows how his daily life might really have been. Did not know there really was a Robert Greene who really disliked William. Did not know about William's parents. All those little nuances that the show included which are based on real life situations make the show even better.

Does anyone know if there is a series 4 in the works?

The interview

Rick I am a big fan of the show watched it when it went out and on Gold, Ben Elton has yet again come up with comedy gold. I have not personally seen any announcement of series 4 but there is a West End show with some of the stars appearing David Mitchell is Will and Rob Rouse is Bottom , Gemma Whelan is Kate , Helen Monks is his daughter Susanna , Mark Heap is Dr John Hall instead of Greene [must be a character for the stag show] , Stephen Spiers is Burbage . Nothing in the billing for his wife Lisa Tarbuck, Tim Downie as Kit, Harry Enfield and Paula as his parents or Dominic Coleman and Spencer Jones as Condell and Kempe so they must have changed the plot and these characters don't appear . So I imagine Mr Elton and the BBC will hopefully get together to discuss a fourth series once the stage show has run its course.

Captain are you saying that they are doing a theatre / play stage version of the show at a place called West End? If so that sounds really neat. If I were nearby I would definitely go see that.

I was familiar with his name but did not realize that he penned The Young Ones, Black Adder and The Thin Blue Line as well. All favorites of mine.

Hello Rick,

Sorry I should have explained the main Theatres in London are collectively referred to as "The West End" . The stage play of Upstart Crow is currently running [or was before this awful virus hit ] at the Gielgud Theatre. The link below takes you to their site and it shows the bill for the show on the home page thought you might like to see it . It was originally known as the Hicks but was renamed spookily the Globe which remained until 1994 when it was renamed the Gielgud after Sir John Gielgud the infamous actor .

I thought that is what you meant. I googled 'West End show' and it returned West End theatre in West London which made sense. Originally was not sure if it was a play on words for a new TV show to look out for. For example West End / West Enders instead of East End / Eastenders such a thing but back in Shakespeare's day. What you had written just seemed to make more sense as a theatre play sort of thing.

Back