Outdated language?

Maggie Jones

Dedicated Member
I was watching DRAMA the other night and I thought the announcer said the following episode contains outdated language. It was Das Welly Boot. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch it all the way through so wasn't sure what was said that was outdated. This morning on GOLD the same episode was shown without any similar statement being made by the announcer in advance. I watched it through but still not sure what it was relating to. Any ideas anybody?

I wouldn't worry, just enjoy the freedom of days gone. They don't show Tom & Jerry coz it's tooooo violent!

Well it could just be that Ivy said several time, I'll Kill Him, and in a post on FB where someone had captioned a picture with those words FB removed the post

It wouldn't surprise me if they make that announcement on all the episodes, just in case some random person decides to take offence about something that isn't even offensive.

I think people have decided that a sitcom that BEGAN in the 70s is bound to be offensive, even through to the 90s and beyond episodes.

It will be political correctness gone mad.

Well it could just be that Ivy said several time, I'll Kill Him, and in a post on FB where someone had captioned a picture with those words FB removed the post
That was hilarious considering someone else did it the next and it's still there.

Or maybe because Compo often says things like thee, aught and naught some younger folk may have to use googly to get the meanings. o_O

A prime example of a "summerwine phrase" is "Yer daft buttock !!!"....imagine a comedy using such language nowadays !!!.....a "nether region" part of the anatomy is strickly out of bounds.
Using a plant name as an insult.........i.e. "Glenda you just think I'm some big tulip"........how times change.
x!

The strange thing is Gold is showing the same episodes about 2 days later than Drama and I haven't heard them make any statement about outdated language.

The strange thing is Gold is showing the same episodes about 2 days later than Drama and I haven't heard them make any statement about outdated language.

Drama aren't making the language announcement on every episode. The problem with such an announcement is that they really mean it might be offensive since a sitcom dating back so far by definition will have outdated language. I have no idea why they singled out that particular episode though.

After a look on Google, outdated language means neither acceptable or useful.

I don't think there's ever been anything unacceptable in LOTSW, language or otherwise.

I suggest we all use LOTSW language at all times, so it becomes accepted.

I wonder if they consider MacBeth and some of Shakespeare's other works as 'outdated' as well. After all it is 400 something years old and not easily 'modern typed into a cellphone texting' lexicon. :eyesroll:

A prime example of a "summerwine phrase" is "Yer daft buttock !!!"....imagine a comedy using such language nowadays !!!.....a "nether region" part of the anatomy is strickly out of bounds.
Using a plant name as an insult.........i.e. "Glenda you just think I'm some big tulip"........how times change.
x!
I can just imagine Barry saying that while he is dressed as a big tulip because he has just been recruited by the vicar to star in the church concert. :)

I also wonder if some of it is due to Compo's views on the fairer sex and the way he often approached Nora & Ivy
Any woman that's been on the receiving end of a " mans views " knows that Compo is very tame.

Back