Our Second Wave.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
The new lockdown in Leicester is in specific areas, the areas have recently had pop up test stations, we believe that we don't necessary have more cases we just now know how many we have which is higher than first thought so because of more testing we have a clearer picture of what's going on. I do know people that have tested positive and luckily been ok. In our case, one daughter is not affected by the new lockdown but her children's school is so they finish tomorrow, the school me daughter works at isn't affected so she still has to go to work, luckily her oldest child is 18 and can look after the twins. My eldest granddaughter is also outside the lockdown area so she's not affected either but my other two children and their kids are affected so they have to be on lockdown too. All none essential shops are closing again and the pubs, hairdressers, cinema opens on Saturday are cancelled so we're basically back to square one. I'm happy have had meets with all my kids and grandkids over the last 2 weeks, hopefully that will keep me going for another 2 weeks.

I had an appointment in Newcastle City Centre today and decided to do some retail shopping and after 3 shops I had enough there is absolutely no pleasure to be gained by shopping in that manner and that with pleasant weather . There are apparently toilets open somewhere in Newcastle but I didn't find them . All the seating from the main streets has been removed the only ones remaining are by the Cenitaph but they were crowded so unless you enjoy standing for hours and have a bladder like a camel it is a totally uninspiring experience which I am in no rush to repeat . It is a real shame because I would love to support the High Street and the independent shops we have in the City but there is just no enjoyment in a shopping trip at present. :confused:

I had an appointment in Newcastle City Centre today and decided to do some retail shopping and after 3 shops I had enough there is absolutely no pleasure to be gained by shopping in that manner and that with pleasant weather . There are apparently toilets open somewhere in Newcastle but I didn't find them . All the seating from the main streets has been removed the only ones remaining are by the Cenitaph but they were crowded so unless you enjoy standing for hours and have a bladder like a camel it is a totally uninspiring experience which I am in no rush to repeat . It is a real shame because I would love to support the High Street and the independent shops we have in the City but there is just no enjoyment in a shopping trip at present. :confused:
Spoke to my aunt yesterday she's hoping The Ling Gallery is opening this weekend, she's desperate to get out. ( not sure I spelt that right )

Its the Laing Gallery Pearl, I was a frequent visitor before this awful Pandemic they have some great exhibitions and their static gallery is a really interesting mix of local artists paintings but they have some wonderful displays of antique glassware and teapots .I have a couple of snaps from exhibitions I attended one is an original note and drawings from Leonardo Da Vinci .The other is a Lowry painting which was part of an exhibition of some of the great paintings and artists who are household names including Constable.

2016-02-16_13.16.09.jpg

IMG_1961.JPG

I was there in March before the lockdown with my Aunt, I've a thing for teapots and loved the ones there. I have collection too. Theres some lovely pictures there.

I've a thing for teapots and loved the ones there. I have collection too

Do you have any Lorna Bailey teapots Pearl ? I like the quirky designs and tried a couple of times to buy them as ornaments but have yet to secure any .
lorna1.jpg

Attachments

• lorna2.jpg
    lorna2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 2
Its the Laing Gallery Pearl, I was a frequent visitor before this awful Pandemic they have some great exhibitions and their static gallery is a really interesting mix of local artists paintings but they have some wonderful displays of antique glassware and teapots .I have a couple of snaps from exhibitions I attended one is an original note and drawings from Leonardo Da Vinci .The other is a Lowry painting which was part of an exhibition of some of the great paintings and artists who are household names including Constable.

View attachment 3344

View attachment 3345
I especially like the work of L.S. Lowry, partly for the unpretentious style and partly because of my interest in British industrial history. I spent nearly an entire morning at the Lowry gallery at Salford Quays last fall, and didn't leave nearly enough time for IWM North, just across the Ship Canal. Good reason for another trip to England, but not this year.

This is a very sad post, but summarises perfectly the disturbing situation we find ourselves in, I'm also avoiding holidays for the same reason, I don't want the social distancing measures to sully the memory of places I'd usually love in normal times. I'm just longing for the day when life can return to normal and hopefully we can all appreciate what we once took for granted.

This is a very sad post, but summarises perfectly the disturbing situation we find ourselves in, I'm also avoiding holidays for the same reason, I don't want the social distancing measures to sully the memory of places I'd usually love in normal times. I'm just longing for the day when life can return to normal and hopefully we can all appreciate what we once took for granted.
I've cancelled my usual visit to Great Britain for this year. A day and night on a series of planes and in a series of airports in the US and the Netherlands before reaching Glasgow, then after a week in the highlands, a long rail journey first to Manchester, then to Holmfirth seem too dangerous to contemplate. In addition, given the infection rate in the US (except for my own state, New York), it will probably be quite a long time before the US moves up from Great Britain's "red" traffic light category to "green". Until then, I'd have to build in an extra two weeks for quarantine at the start of the trip.

Some of the rest of the US has such a high rate of infection that New York and two or three of the neighboring states have instituted a 14-day quarantine on people entering from the ~8 states with the worst infection rate. Here in New York, we're nearly at the new normal, where we'll need to function until an effective vaccine is available to the general public. I was able to have my hair trimmed this morning for the first time since February. I'd been reduced to concealing it under a Pearl-style scarf! The stylists and customers had to be masked throughout and we had our temperatures taken on the way into the salon. There's a Plexiglass shield surrounding the entire front desk area and payment is by either chip or contactless cards only.

I doubt that anything could sully my memory of places I've enjoyed, but I couldn't enjoy any of them while constantly terrified of infection, and serious illness or death would be much too high a price to pay for a few weeks of travel.

It is such a balance between living a normal life and going through all the protocols and conditions; masking and social distancing. Sometimes it's so difficult to figure out what to do. Some areas have opened up and people are rapidly dumping the protocols; and the infection rate in those areas have climbed. You know what? In a way I don't blame them, you NEED some social contact. And when the opportunity arises it so easy just to dump the protocols.

Some conditions are being enforced to ridiculous levels. Families enjoying a park with no one else around have been told to leave.

Yes, I agree -- being on an overseas flight is a recipe for disaster. Many years ago my boss would ALWAYS come down with some ailment after being cooped up on an airplane.

Well Mum and I are both in need of new laptops, but I don't feel confident enough to visit the independent computer shop we usually go to for advice, repairs and new computer equipment. That's assuming they are open now with some lockdown restrictions lifted. Actually, I don't really feel confident in any public space at the moment, aside from the one supermarket I visit each week to keep us fed and watered. At the moment, Mum's old laptop is doing OK, but mine is, to put it bluntly, "dead". I am using our old spare one for now, but even that is on it's last legs.

By the way, good luck to the people of Leicester who now have to live through another full lockdown. Our thoughts are with you.

Back