One-off characters who became regulars

There wasn't really much to differentiate Smiler from his On The Buses character Blakey. In fact take away the Yorkshire accent and you could have written the character as Blakey retiring to Yorkshire.

He played Vince in an episode of One Foot in the Grave where he carved a headstone for Victor , he was Harry in Oh Doctor Beeching and essentially he payed both parts in exactly the same manor as Blakey/Smiler . His acting career must have been a breeze same mannerisms just a tweak to the accent .

He played Vince in an episode of One Foot in the Grave where he carved a headstone for Victor , he was Harry in Oh Doctor Beeching and essentially he payed both parts in exactly the same manor as Blakey/Smiler . His acting career must have been a breeze same mannerisms just a tweak to the accent .
Director:- "Just be yourself Stephen, aaaand action"

Stephen:- "I'll get you Butl...I mean...Bell".

I've always like the name, "Smiler" because he never smiles or even comes close to smiling. It kind of makes you smile.

Its like Trigger in Only Fools and Horses he got his nickname because his haircut at school made him look like a Horse and obviously its a reference to Roy Rogers famous horse who would have been at the height of his fame when OFAH is set date wise in the context when Del and CO would have been at school.

He played Vince in an episode of One Foot in the Grave where he carved a headstone for Victor , he was Harry in Oh Doctor Beeching and essentially he payed both parts in exactly the same manor as Blakey/Smiler . His acting career must have been a breeze same mannerisms just a tweak to the

Did you know his characters name was Colin Ball.
I love the scene where Rodney meets him and asks Del if he’s called Trigger because he carries a gun… “ nah, it’s because he looks like an ‘orse”! :)
OFAH is absolute gold!!

Director:- "Just be yourself Stephen, aaaand action"

Stephen:- "I'll get you Butl...I mean...Bell".
That wasn't who he really was, though. Check out this video I just watched that is mostly talking about Bob Grant from "On the Buses" but includes a couple of Stephen Lewis as himself interview segments. The video talks about how Grant was typecast but the same thing happened to Lewis.

Back