One careful owner..

The article says the car comes with a die-cast model bearing the same registration. If it's the Corgi 1:43 scale model I am thinking of, then none of the original examples had any registration whatsoever, (it could represent either WRH 132J or CXE 604J). I'm thinking the registration must have been custom applied at a later date, or is there a model I'm not aware of?

Attachments

• 117041j.jpg
    117041j.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 117041m.jpg
    117041m.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
This car has been on sale for nearly a year. It was sold in June 2021 by Tennants auction house in Leyburn for £16,500. It was then offered on eBay for £25,000. It appears not to have sold and Fairmont Sports and Classics at Brentwood had been offering it for sale since at least October 2021, originally for £22,750. The current auctioneers offering the car, H&H, also sold WRH132J in April 2011 for £4,781. The model is available on eBay for anything from about £30 to £70!
[...before anyone asks, transport and cars are one of my "things".]

My family has a spooky parallel with the Pegden's.
In the mid-1970’s my step-father, (a Wesley style mechanic and all-round DIY-er) rebuilt a (1963 to 1967) Triumph Herald 12/50 saloon for my mother. It was the horrible Primrose Yellow colour, with sliding vinyl-fabric sunroof. I remember it spent a long time under a tarpaulin in the back garden. I think it was a relief for everyone that my step-father finally got it fixed up and running. My step-father taught mum to drive in that car. I would have been about 14, so I don't remember much else, but seeing Edie tearing up the country roads does remind me of mum, who passed away in her sixties, over 30 years ago.

As a matter of interest does anyone know why different cars were used for her, was it simply a case of the owners no longer allowing the series to use it so a substitute had to be found?

Obviously some stunts needed disposable cars as otherwise the chassis would get damaged, ( the glory hole for example) quite flimsey on a herald. I think mine was unreliable & got too rough, it appeared in various states of repair including front valences with & without the white rubber bumpers & even with white insulating tape stuck on to discise some sections missing. Various door mirrors were used including a chrome one that Edie broke off & handed to Wesley! Happy to say the car is a bit better now than during filming.

Thanks for publishing the hammer price. With fees I expect the garage made a slight loss. Mine was also auctioned by H&H, but at their Buxton premises. Let's hope the new owner surfaces on this site.
Here's the catalogue page from when mine sold back in April 2011.

Attachments

• 20220625_182149.jpg
    20220625_182149.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220625_181858.jpg
    20220625_181858.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 5
I follow the motor trade fairly closely and now is probably a good time to sell as car prices have been going crazy. This has been caused by a shortage of components such as looms and semi-conductor chips but this has fed all the way down to many classics, due to an overall dearth of cars.
To illustrate this the new Defender (the relaunched version of Wesleys 4x4) were selling at a £15-£25k premium over list price due to the very long waiting lists. Most cars are still selling over premium but I'm seeing signs that this silly bubble is starting to deflate.
I think the message is now is a good time to sell if you're fortunate enough to have a car you don't need to replace or hang onto the one you've got if you don't have to change.

Back