Old Married Couple?

Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but in the later years didn't Clegg and Truly seem like an old married couple? Truly seemed settled in at Cleggs and was often there when Howard was just getting up to get up to something. It just kind of seemed like Truly was a lot more comfortable there than any other guests as though he lived there. The friendship seemed a lot calmer/settled and comfortable as well.

I suspect that part of that was due to insuring ageing actors. They were similar age and thus most of their scenes were indoors - I think they used a special backdrop for scenes meant to be outside, thus inside Cleggy's house became a convenient location - of course, I could be lying!!

I felt it always seemed like when they cut to a shot of Clegg and Truly alone at the house that it was either an advert break or an old folks home. No offence intended to anyone. I can only recall a couple of times when you either had Howard or Barry come in to talk to them about something. Most of the time you would have all the action going on in the other parts of the show, cut to Clegg and Truly who would say their lines often not related to the other story lines in the episode then move onto whatever the others were doing.

I would have loved to have seen them in the pub for instance just to still make them feel like part of the script.
For instance,

Characters : Clegg, Truly, Alvin, Entwistle and Howard

Scenario: Clegg and Truly having a drink when Alvin, Entwistle and Howard walk in.

Alvin : "Hey, We've been looking for you two. We've got a problem you might be able to help us with."

Truly : "We might. For a Fee". (indicating the empty glasses they have).

Alvin sighs

Entwistle : (describes the problem they have)

Truly : "Yes I think we might be able to help. Here's what you should do".

Change of Location : Some other story line in the episode.

Change of Location : Back to White Horse Pub

Howard : "That sounds good. We should give that a go".

Alvin : "Thank's for that. We knew you could help".

Clegg sighs : "I wasn't much help at all"

Entwistle : "Yes you were, moral support very important"

Alvin, Entwistle and Howard leave with Clegg and Truly sitting there with a table full of empty glasses.

Last edited:
Good thinking Adrian I really like the idea of using a pub as an alternate 'home base' to Norm's home. The younger cast coming to check in with Clegg and Truly to get their advice on something. Paying for the advice with beers then wander off to do the more active parts of the show.

I agree that it seemed like Clegg spent more time at his place in later episodes. Most likely because it was harder for him to be out and about in the hills around Holmfirth. Which is entirely understandable. I've also heard of insurance reasons as well.

It is heartwarming as Pearl has mentioned true friendship in how Truly and others looked out and cared for Clegg. Showed the human side and made things more real. It wasn't just a show, they actually cared about the well being of one another.

.................or Cleggy's could become a Micro pub,quite common in the UK now many not as a big as his front Room . I can see the cast saying "you fancy a pint , let's all go round to NORM'S !! " Like Early Doors , for anyone who has seen it, Cooper and Walsh could nip in for a swift half like Phil an Nige do in Early Doors

I felt it always seemed like when they cut to a shot of Clegg and Truly alone at the house that it was either an advert break or an old folks home. No offence intended to anyone. I can only recall a couple of times when you either had Howard or Barry come in to talk to them about something. Most of the time you would have all the action going on in the other parts of the show, cut to Clegg and Truly who would say their lines often not related to the other story lines in the episode then move onto whatever the others were doing.

I would have loved to have seen them in the pub for instance just to still make them feel like part of the script.
For instance,

Characters : Clegg, Truly, Alvin, Entwistle and Howard

Scenario: Clegg and Truly having a drink when Alvin, Entwistle and Howard walk in.

Alvin : "Hey, We've been looking for you two. We've got a problem you might be able to help us with."

Truly : "We might. For a Fee". (indicating the empty glasses they have).

Alvin sighs

Entwistle : (describes the problem they have)

Truly : "Yes I think we might be able to help. Here's what you should do".

Change of Location : Some other story line in the episode.

Change of Location : Back to White Horse Pub

Howard : "That sounds good. We should give that a go".

Alvin : "Thank's for that. We knew you could help".

Clegg sighs : "I wasn't much help at all"

Entwistle : "Yes you were, moral support very important"

Alvin, Entwistle and Howard leave with Clegg and Truly sitting there with a table full of empty glasses.

Or maybe when Clegg says it wasn't much help, Truly would indicate full glasses.

Back