Oddity

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Spotted a little oddity, in a early episode the trio were talking to Sid about the chap with the garage, and Sid told them it was Wesley, now retired, now it seems the trio did not know Wesley before, yet in Desperate for a Duffield, they talk to Wesley who knew big Audrey from school, plus the one with the mucky neck, so that implies Wesley was at school with them

I don't remember them talking about. Can you name the episode that they talk to Sid about the chap with the garage?

There are a few "oddities" like that Terry, as you know. The introduction of Alvin had a similar "problem" and if I remember correct, even Seymour went from unknown to fellow schoolmate albeit only for a short time.
I think it is basically a new character coming in for initially perhaps only one or relatively few episodes and then staying, so their backstory gets embellished to fit in with the rest of the group.

The only criticism I have of Roy Clarkes writing is he often doesn't 'flesh out' his characters sufficiently. e.g. I get the impression from earlier episodes that Compo would have done everything possible to duck out of military service (I recall he was joking how military police were after a family member dodging subscription once), yet later there is the episode about his heroics in Dunkirk. I always thought if this were the case, surely Blamire or Foggy would have at least made reference to his service.
Also I remember seeing an interview with Jo Tewson, when she asked RC for more background of Elizabeth in Keeping Up Appearances she was surprised about how little he'd thought about it.

Back