Noticed in the Charity Balls

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Two things, 1. the hat Compo wears in the show is similar to the one Foggy normally wears, Foggy's is the same style but with the ear flaps fixed on the top of the hat.
2. During the credits a man walks towards the trio and he has the appearance of Foggy's double
CB1.jpg

CB2.jpg

Glad to see I'm not the only one who notices little things like hats. Several of the hats were passed around to various cast members. When Tom was introduced, he was wearing a multi-fabric/design brownish cap that a different cast member wore in "There are Gypsies at the Bottom of Our Garden." That actor was the man Foggy approached and wanted to continue telling him about his war stories. The guy quickly ran off down some steps.

Howard is sold a hat/coat rack by auntie Wainright, and she threw in a ladies white staw hat to clench the deal. I never saw Pearl wear that hat, but it showed up in "Happy Anniversary Gough and Jessie," and "The Three Astaires" being worn by Edie Pegden.

I also noticed that in "Extra! Extra!" Foggy is wearing a black hat, in a smooth cloth fabric, that matches the outfit he's wearing for the film. It is identical in design to the wool tweed hat he usually wore.

Nora was often seen wearing her hats front to back. She had a blue hat and another pinkish color hat that she wore with the flower in the front, then the hats were turned around and worn with the flowers in the back. She did that with several of her hats.

Can't remember the episode, but another actor is seen wearing the same type of cap that Eli Duckett always wore.

I'm particularly fond of hats for church and dressy occasions. My wish list this year includes buying a traditional Stormy Kromer cap.

Last edited:
I have been searching for a collapsible Top Hat for the occasions I go abroad with ex work colleagues for a few days, normally with only cabin luggage, so the folding hat is perfect when you have limited space . My friends normally have the standard Baseball cap to protect themselves from the Sun and I would to see their reaction when I produce a Top Hat to wear.

Years ago, there was a man at the bowling alley who ALWAYS wore a baseball cap. IT NEVER CAME OFF and there was a rumor that he was covering up a bald spot.

Not quite sure how to take this, since I do speak some French. Think I'll take a pass. This might not go over very well when attending the over 60s annual fall fete.

I don't speak French so if the writing on the is not very complimentary or insulting I apologise and will happily edit. I just looked on Google images for Hats with Eyes and selected that one , happy to replace with another as I have no wish to offend anyone .

Here I am all school masterish again.On a closer look I read the word as merci (thankyou)The problem word you are thinking of would have an e on the end. To my mind and eyes there was no need for the edit .:08:

I don't speak French so if the writing on the is not very complimentary or insulting I apologise and will happily edit. I just looked on Google images for Hats with Eyes and selected that one , happy to replace with another as I have no wish to offend anyone .
No offense taken. The hat that you originally posted is a representation of the emoji for pile of poo (Google the image). The shape and the word "merde" on the hat was a dead giveaway. I only know these things because I am surrounded by kids and other strange people. Don't give it a second thought. Growing up with 5 brothers caused my ladylike qualities to vanish decades ago.

Hello Emma

somewhere I have a number of hat picyures but here is one from my collection. I do occasionally wear this one and was delivered from Pennsylvania to Keighley for me ...

Attachments

• amish.jpg
    amish.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 10
That is a beautiful hat, and instantly recognizable. The black hat can be used daily or for Sunday-go-to-meeting wear, and a white straw hat with a black band is for daily work wear. My husband grew up in Pennsylvania, and there are large numbers of Amish here in Indiana. Their horse-drawn buggies are on the roads - for years now, with bright orange signs on the backs to warn traffic of a slow moving vehicle. At first the people protested saying the bright orange signs were considered flash, and therefore against their religion. But they became mandatory after some bad accidents involving cars and wagons. In many areas of both our states, parking lots (your car parks) have separate areas for horse and buggy tie-ups. That hat must have cost a small fortune. I'm just a little too cheap to have a genuine British fascinator shipped to me from the UK.

My aunt and uncle lived in New Wilmington, Pennsylvania in the heart of Amish country. And yes, there are two parking lots; one for cars and the other for horse and buggies.

Back