Normal episodes that would make great feature length ones

Plumpkin

Not sure if this has been a topic before - and if it has I apologise - but I was wondering if there were any 30min Summer Wine episodes that people think would have made good feature length episodes.

For me, I would have loved to have seen 'When You Take A Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes terrible' made into a longer version of itself. I think the 'three pubs' idea could have easily been expanded.

What do other people think?

There were several episodes which I think finished too soon and could have carried on. I will have a think which they were.

I can think of a couple, I think Frozen Turkey Man could have been extended also Cooper's Rules.

Perhaps I am crazy for suggesting this, but I have always been very high on Follow That Bottle. It does not have much of a story line but that is part of the fun of it. It is simply a group of guys using Entwhistle’s truck to follow a bottle down a stream. A full length version of this could be a more detailed character study as well as an opportunity to see more beautiful countryside. Each time they make a stop for the bottle, another mishap could occur. Sometimes the simplest Summer Wine episodes are the best.

In Which Howard Gets Double Booked is a great episode with a lot of comic chaos. The hectic running back and forth from one pub to another was a good scheme of Trully’s. A lot of fast paced driving scenes would be included. A lot of suspense could be built up with Howards frantic running around. To me it is one of the best of the later episodes.

Three maybe's 1/ Treasure from the Deep
2/ Sidecar named Desire
3/Genuine Outdoors Robin Hood Barbi.
Each one seems to have room for more storyline and each seems to just "peter out"? ::) ???

I would agree with you happyjack about all mod conned...it could have been extended, would have been easy to extend that, seemed to end too soon... :)

There were many episodes that could have been made longer.

Similarly, there were also episodes that were just so good, you didn't want them to end.

In the mid 80s, when the series was still at it's very best, many of the early Seymour episodes seemed to end just when you were really getting into it. Very often the studio audience could be heard 'sighing' at the end of episodes, having enjoyed themselves and sorry it was the end.

It's also worth noting that some feature length episodes were probably too LONG, but then again you can't have too much LOTSW.

I agree with happyjack about Three Men And A Mangle. The only other one I could think of off the top of my head was Jubilee. It may have needed reworking, but I think the subject matter would have held out for an hour at least.

Two episodes from the Blamire years come to mind...

Hail Smiling Morn Or Thereabouts -- Perhaps Blamire's obsession with photography could've been explored further, like perhaps maybe the trio could've camped out in the abandoned building again the following night and gotten up in time for Blamire to photograph the sunrise. Then, he could've had an exhibition of his photographs at the library, much to Mr. Wainright's dismay.

Ballad For Wind Instruments And Canoe -- The idyllic scenery of the river and the trio canoeing down it could've been shown more. Maybe the parts where the trio negotiated with Armpepper over the canoe and where they accidentally broke the plate glass shop window could've been extended and given more dialogue. Plus, I thought the character of Armpepper was kind of funny in a goofy, off-kilter kind of way. I would've liked to see him become a recurring character on the show. His offbeat manner had potential.

I would have liked to have seen I Was a Hitman for Primrose Dairies extended to feature length, as it would have made a better introduction for Russ Abbot, and I think people would have taken to him more.

I also would have liked How Not to Cry at Weddings made longer too.

I would have liked to have seen I Was a Hitman for Primrose Dairies extended to feature length, as it would have made a better introduction for Russ Abbot, and I think people would have taken to him more.

I also would have liked How Not to Cry at Weddings made longer too.

I agree with Primrose Dairies, it needed to be longer to establish Hobbo and make people warm to him better and give him a bit of a back story, which is what you need in a first episode for a new character in my opinion. as for the final episode I think for what it was it was long enough

The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper. Those guys on a vacation could go on a bit. Showing Compo picking up the women. Can't believe Nora and Ivy never let each other know they were going to the same house. Boy was Compo surprised :-* :-* about Nora.

I would have liked to see "Yours Truly if You're Not Careful" be extended. I would have liked to seen Truly's ex-wife actually show up. The issue of her still wanting the freezer could have been quite funny in my opinion with guys trying to help him and torment her instead of tormenting him. :D

I originally posted this in the wrong subject line so you may have already seen this post. I've been having to modify all my posts leaving something out etc....I think my brain has a short circuit or is full of beans. :-[

The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper. Those guys on a vacation could go on a bit. Showing Compo picking up the women. Can't believe Nora and Ivy never let each other know they were going to the same house. Boy was Compo surprised :-* :-* about Nora.

you have to remember that at this point in the show they weren't friends, it was really only from the 1979 Christmas Special they became friends in a common cause, teaching Compo a lesson in that episode, after that they became friends although there was one episode before that Nora worked in the café but I think that was only cause Ivy didn't want anyone attractive working there with Sid

Back