No Sign of the Cast

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
There have been several episodes, one I can think of is "Come in Sunray Major" at the end the cast are chatting in the pub but we cannot see them

I can only guess the cast were not in the pub, just a outside shot and they added the dialogue later, there are other examples of this,what ones can you recall

In Defeat of the Stonework Cleggy and Howard are talking for a while at the cellar of Clegg's you only see them when they go down the stairs

I was going to say Pearl in any episode, from Howard's perspective , because when he is in shot he thinks Pearl could be anywhere nearby , in earshot and ready to verbally bend his ear at any time ! :08:

And which episode is it? At the end we see an exterior shot of Hollowgate Fisheries and hear one of the trio inquiring how fish is just the right size for the batter.

It's "Who Made a bit of a Splash in Wales" where you see the fisheries with the trio talking.

There's also "Getting on Sidney's Wire" which ends on a shot of some Public Toilets, with the voice overs playing.
Is Hollowgate Fisheries supposed to be in Holmfirth, Hollowgate or where? Fish and chips shop? I've always been puzzled.

That long shot ending accomplishes three things at the same time. First, ending with a long shot is a traditional way to end an TV episode or a movie. Second, running the action right up to the last second through the credits was a creative way to limit the BEEB from doing voice overs, and third, it gave the actors a break. They could sit and do the dialog in a comfortable studio setting rather than rambling over the hills.

Is Hollowgate Fisheries supposed to be in Holmfirth, Hollowgate or where? Fish and chips shop? I've always been puzzled.

It is still there, just down the road from Nora's

Attachments

• HW.jpg
    HW.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 1

Hollowgate is the Holmfirth street along the other side of the river from Scarfold, the road below the wall in front of Compo's and Nora's cottages. The "gate" suffix is probably from the Norse language, in which a gate is a road and a bar is a gate, as in the street and city gate names in York.

Back