Next of Kin Question

Sad to say that the Sir Humphrey type of politico exists everywhere. I agree with you that the writing on this show is excellent.

I have to up the number of shows from your list that I have not seen to 10. I didn't realize "Reggie Perrin" was never aired where I live. I watched The Rise and Fall, and The Legacy, but never saw the Reggie Perrin series. I just watched the first episode, and it was laugh-out-loud funny. I'm a fan of Martin Clunes. He was interviewed 2 years ago by some people from my local PBS station on their annual trek to the UK. It was interesting to see how he interacted so easily with them. He introduced his wife, Philippa Braithwaite, who I think is a producer on the Doc Martin series, and they showed him playing with his dogs who came to the set with them each day. He seemed to be such a different person in real life than the character he portrays on Doc Martin. I've added the Reggin Perrin series to my list of must watch videos. Thank you, again.

Reginald Iolanthe Perrin , a great character my favourite episodes were when he opened GROT where he sold useless and rubbish items and despite that it was an outstanding success . I think that reflected real life because I for one have accumulated so many useless items bought on a whim when out shopping and there is a truth to the statement that people will buy any old rubbish especially if the price is right and dare I say wrong . If someone plugs something at a ridiculously high price for what it is people are swayed to buy because they want to be seen owning it.

Was this series really described as a sitcom/comedy? I recently discovered it after watching some episodes of "To The Manor Born." It was recommended because Penelope Keith starred in both series. It seems to be a dramedy = a drama with a touch of dark humor thrown in. It's difficult to watch.

Next of Kin was a situation comedy.

It was horrible to watch, as I think the first episode dealt with Penelope Keith's son and daughter in-law (or it could have been daughter and son-in-law) DYING, and it appeared Penelope Keith never much cared for them.

Unwatchable, may have worked better as a drama - hardly the stuff of comedy.

Penelope Keith also appeared in Sweet Sixteen, which was equally as bad.

Doubtless you have seen Penelope Keith in The Good Life, which is excellent.

Peneelope Keith also appeared in Executive Stress, which is worth a look. This featured Geoffrey Palmer, and later Peter Bowles (who also appeared in To the Manor Born).

Penelope Keith's appearance on Morecambe and Wise's show was iconic and is always featured when they show a tribute to them. It is a classic sketch involving them dancing down a staircase which ends suddenly with a fifteen foot drop . The japes they employ to get off it to the stage are so funny.

I bought Next of Kin.
Considering the subject matter there are a few laughs and worth watching.

Next of Kin was made in 1995 and is now probably considered a "has been" show , and we all know what happens if you has beens, as Tex Ritter aptly put it :-

Oh, the wayward wind is a restless wind
A restless wind that yearns to wander
And I was born the next of kin
The next of kin to the wayward wind

:eek::fp:

If you fancy a quiet weekend with a gentle comedy then go for a has been show, I wasn't going to watch more than a couple of episodes but ended up watching it all over the weekend.

Back