News from Sids Cafe re new Filming

In the light of the very exciting Open All Hours revival, I thought I would start up this old topic, hoping someone has heard any more news?

Anyone know any more?

Was this ever a serious proposal? Ideas with a bit of film or pilots, most of which apparently are never seen or get to the tv screen, are submitted to the tv companies all the time. Surely a LOTSW spin off would require the agreement of those who originally brought it to the tv screens, especially if original characters were to be involved as there would be copyright issues, etc. Roy Clarke would have probably said something if it was something he was planning. As he is now writing Still Open All Hours, I doubt it came from him.

Below is a list of current comedy pilots, most of which we will probably never see.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/pilots/

Was this ever a serious proposal? Ideas with a bit of film or pilots, most of which apparently are never seen or get to the tv screen, are submitted to the tv companies all the time. Surely a LOTSW spin off would require the agreement of those who originally brought it to the tv screens, especially if original characters were to be involved as there would be copyright issues, etc. Roy Clarke would have probably said something if it was something he was planning. As he is now writing Still Open All Hours, I doubt it came from him.

Below is a list of current comedy pilots, most of which we will probably never see.

Thanks for the list, most of those programmes look dreadful, don't they?

Talking of pilots, there's an unseen comedy pilot by John Sullivan starring Brian Wilde. Why can't they show it?

Talking of pilots, there's an unseen comedy pilot by John Sullivan starring Brian Wilde. Why can't they show it?

Well, I wouldn't say dreadful, but there again there is a lot I probably wouldn't watch and wouldn't have an opinion about. I once knew someone who didn't like LOTSW, his opinion was based on watching about five minutes of an episode, he thought it was rubbish. People can be like that, judge something without having really watched it, but I suspect there are people who love LOTSW who react the same way about other things! I prefer not to have an opinion at all about something that I've never seen or know little about.

Does it still exist? I wonder how many pilots that never make it are actually kept? Possible that the original recording is long gone.

Interesting story though from what I could find out. This was a comedy about a football manager called Over The Moon. The pilot was filmed back in 1980 and a series had been commissioned, Sullivan had written 4 episodes. Prior to this Sullivan had written Citizen Smith and Over The Moon was to be his next big comedy. Apparently it was scrapped by Bill Cotton after he returned from holiday and didn't want it because the BBC at that time had already committed to another sporting comedy in the world of boxing, Seconds Out and he didn't want a second comedy about sport. Sullivan went away and came back with Only Fools and Horses. Chances are that had Over The Moon been accepted, Only Fools and Horses might never have been written. The rest, as they say, is history.

As far as I know, Over the Moon pilot was made and still exists - a brief extract of it was shown on a documentary. Can't remember what the documentary was about, but it was probably about Only Fools.

I was always convinced they did have children, now and then I thought there were little clues to it.
This sound interesting I'm sure we're all agog to find out more. ;D

The only statement that they did not was in one of the Summer Wine Chronicles rather than any TV programme ....

When a remake is made having the show brought back to life can be a bit risky. It can go extremely well or be a complete disaster. A show like LOTSW must remain on top. I would hate to see it go down hill because the new story or story lines don't work. The cast are 99% dead so what more can be done? It was never made clear if they had children or not. I don't know if I would want to see a new series. I wouldn't mind a one off special as the last episode was terrible. It ended on the Bus with actually no ending..

"Alex Reid ? Really? Oh dear! ".....exactly my thoughts as well,Susan. I had a look through all those "pilots" and the only one that had any appeal was Catherine Tates(I wonder if we are related :D) extended special about "Gran"

Hector

I'm pretty sure that Nora and Wally never had children, so it will be interesting to learn how in the world she could have a granddaughter!

With the exception of Wesley and Edie most of the married couples never had children [I don't think Nora and Wally were given an onscreen confirmation like the Cleggs, Howard and Pearl Sibshaw, and Sid and Ivy] I always thought that was a bit short sighted on Roy Clarke's part.

Does it still exist? I wonder how many pilots that never make it are actually kept? Possible that the original recording is long gone.

Interesting story though from what I could find out. This was a comedy about a football manager called Over The Moon. The pilot was filmed back in 1980 and a series had been commissioned, Sullivan had written 4 episodes. Prior to this Sullivan had written Citizen Smith and Over The Moon was to be his next big comedy. Apparently it was scrapped by Bill Cotton after he returned from holiday and didn't want it because the BBC at that time had already committed to another sporting comedy in the world of boxing, Seconds Out and he didn't want a second comedy about sport. Sullivan went away and came back with Only Fools and Horses. Chances are that had Over The Moon been accepted, Only Fools and Horses might never have been written. The rest, as they say, is history.
Ironically Seconds Out starred Citizen Smith star Robert Lindsay

Back