News flash!

looks like a repurposed external door that someone has decided to use internally you wouldn't want Postman Pat trampling through your house to deliver mail and Jess would scratch the wooden floor with the claws . The external entrance to the house at the back are French Windows to say nothing of how the poor Postie would get access to the back of the House doesn't look the easiest.

Video is interesting looks like the front door and porch are totally as they were when they filmed that same dark wood but then the dramatic change is what was the living room where countless coffee mornings were held and where Howard plotted his escapes is now the kitchen , really strange . The garden and rear of the property look totally different . The bedroom on the first floor where Howard was incarcerated I assume is the living room so he'd have no chance of escaping through the window as he has tried many times. Assume the five bar gate at the end leads through to the B & B that was posted in another thread . The White Horse would be nice walk down to for a pint and a bite to eat but stagger back up the hill on Scholes Road at closing time wouldn't be great.
The set designers exercised a great deal of artistic license in creating stage sets of interiors for the exteriors of the buildings that were used on location.

The actual interiors of this cottage and the one next door that was Clegg's are still recognizable as weavers' cottages. The family and lodgers would have lived on the ground floor, cooked on a range fitted into the fireplace, washed up in a stone sink using water hauled in from a communal pump, used a communal earth closet where one of the parking areas is now located, and slept on pallets on the floor. The first and second floors would have been filled with looms worked by everyone in the household who had long-enough arms and legs, along with sufficiently developed eye-hand coordination.

These were spaces meant for a life spent working, eating and sleeping, with none of the bourgeois frills that most of us perceive as necessities.

Video is interesting looks like the front door and porch are totally as they were when they filmed that same dark wood but then the dramatic change is what was the living room where countless coffee mornings were held and where Howard plotted his escapes is now the kitchen , really strange . The garden and rear of the property look totally different . The bedroom on the first floor where Howard was incarcerated I assume is the living room so he'd have no chance of escaping through the window as he has tried many times. Assume the five bar gate at the end leads through to the B & B that was posted in another thread . The White Horse would be nice walk down to for a pint and a bite to eat but stagger back up the hill on Scholes Road at closing time wouldn't be great.

Didn't the TV set have a kitchen off the living room unlike the real house?

Yes. If the actual interior had been that deep from front to back, the builder would have had to excavate much further into the hillside to accommodate it.

The real house is quite small, less than 17 x 17ft on each floor. I suppose it made sense for the TV show to have the kitchen off the living room, unlike the real house where you have to traipse up and down stairs!

Probably but there also appears to be a letter box in the door between the lounge and the garden room.
View attachment 4128
You are right about a letter box in a door Glenda but that is on the first floor not the ground floor. The Captain spotted the same thing that I spotted, a box on a wall outside the front of the house stood on a projecting wall. The question is, why would there be a door with a letter box in it on the first floor? Think about it and I'm sure that you will all work it out. Let me know if you need any more help.

The wood panelling at the front entrance between the outer and inner doors is the same now as when they filmed and must have been recreated when they shot scenes in the studio . The kitchen now where the living room was when they filmed looks brand new so have the previous occupants basically refurbished the whole house in terms of the rooms but kept some of the features such as the wood panelling and the cellar which the video also shows.

I remember reading somewhere that those houses had the kitchen on the ground floor at the front of the house. I remember watching one episode and noticing when the characters were walking past the first house as you walk to Howards that the house had the curtains open and spotting a kitchen tap through the window.
All the other houses have had their curtains closed probably to hide the fact the the front room is a kitchen and not a living room.
The only time I can recall seeing the front room of Howards through the window from outside was when Howard was going to twitch the curtain so the guys could call on him to take him for a drink. He pulls the curtain and it falls down showing showing Howard in the window and Pearl just coming out of the kitchen.

It's likely that first floor has always been a kitchen. Remember, they never filmed inside this location. Only outside. The scenes we saw inside were studio sets. That is true of most of the show's locations. They did film inside Sid's a few times, but even that was mostly a studio set, just like Nora and Compo's houses.

By modern standards (at least in the US) that is a pretty odd layout, but old building that are modernized often have that issue.

They *did* film inside the real Howard and Pearls' house, at least twice.
Your task, should you choose to accept it is to tell me which episodes!
This post will self destruct in 10 seconds ...
I did wonder if they filmed inside Cleggy's the time the dog walked past the door, so I asked Alan Bell, he said that was a experiment with a backdrop in the studio, and that they never actually filmed inside the house as the layout was totally different

Back