New Year

amos hames

Dedicated Member
How do you Fourm members celebrate New Year'Do you have a party or fireworks.I know some of you have not had a good end of the year so heres to everyone in 2013.I remember going to London on New Years eve and it was packed in Trafalgar Square with people dancing in the fountains and climbing on the lions.How do our overseas friends celabrate new Year :)

To be honest Amos we're usually in bed by then, we used to get a babysitter in and go out then when the kids got older and left home we used to go to a party at my sister in laws. When the grandkids started to arrive you were the babysitters but the last 5-6 years our kids have stopped going out because its to expensive and you can't get home!!

I love New Years day because all the kids and grandkids come for dinner and they are not so manic has Xmas day so we have a lovely dinner and spend the afternoon being with family. So to get ready for this we go to bed about 10 New Years eve. I know... I'm not 50 yet and I'm a boring old fuddy duddy ;D

****, may have to help me wioth this one. Is having Pork and Sauer Kaut dinners on New Years big in Germany?

I am originally from Pennsylvania. Much of the state has a lot of German influence and the new years day tradition is a pork and sauer kraut dinner (with mashed potatoes). It is supposed to bring good luck for the new year. A lot of organizations and churches will hold pork and sauer kraut dinners on New Year's Day, at least in my region of Pennsylvania.

However, since moving to the DC suburbs, I sort of lost that tradition and am just happy to get my kids in bed.

****, may have to help me wioth this one. Is having Pork and Sauer Kaut dinners on New Years big in Germany?

I am originally from Pennsylvania. Much of the state has a lot of German influence and the new years day tradition is a pork and sauer kraut dinner (with mashed potatoes). It is supposed to bring good luck for the new year. A lot of organizations and churches will hold pork and sauer kraut dinners on New Year's Day, at least in my region of Pennsylvania.

However, since moving to the DC suburbs, I sort of lost that tradition and am just happy to get my kids in bed.

Well, I have no idea if that´s traditional for New Year´s Eve here, I don´t think it is. It´s a common meal at any time of the year, but I don´t know anybody who has it often. It´s not my favourite. Actually quite a few of those "typical" German things are those of all that I don´t particularly like :D. We mostly have Raclette (lots of things in little bowls on the table that you put together as you like it, put it into a tiny little pan and stick it on a heating plate until it´s cooked, only takes a few minutes, do it as often as you like), or Fondue (originates from Switzerland I think, you put a little piece of meat on a stick and into a hot broth or whatever you like until it´s done, as often as you like, many variations possible, you can also dip bread in melted cheese).

For New Year´s Eve we usually play games and have lots of laughs, and at midnight we go outside and meet all the neighbours, everybody is letting off fireworks. But I´ve also spent it in London twice, once in front of Big Ben, frozen stiff after 3 hours standing there, and once in my hotel bed ;).

new years eve up from 7-1am (yes, 6 hours sleep) so usually im awake. i usually come into the front room and watch jools holland and that clock person with all the songs, do the countdown, mum does the stuff with the doors (old out new in) and taps on the window asking if it is new years yet. have a bit of grub and drink, ind the shiniest coins out of the ones on the plate. after that we sort calendars put them up and then go to bed. just me and mum, and the cats. maybe sister aswell this year.

You've got cats, JRT? I used to have a cat. Parker. He was huge. Good company, though.
I'm very dull on New Year. I just go to bed! I don't have a party when June goes into July, or when March changes to April, why would I when December goes to January? Nah, never have. It's just another day to me. Means nothing.

We are always in London for New Year. We use to go to Trafalgar Square, but that was before the Terrorist problem. Also now age has set in and what we do is buy a nice bottle of wine and some nice crackers and cheese from Waitrose and celebrate the New Year on the telly. The hotel corridors get lively enough at Midnight and long after. But at least it is safe indoors.

It has become a normal practise for hotels to do fire practice at about 3:00am. Lastyear I ddin't even go down.

I do like to see the New Year, in. But from the comfort of my arm chair. with fireworks on the TV. Boring? possibly, but it is how we like it.

When in the hotel we stay in the lounge/bar for a while. But the noise does get to you. So off to our room and watch it on the telly.

Have you ever been in a hotel that do these fire drills? Middle of the night is maddening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6_ZS_-I7g The link shows where we like to see the new year in whenever my shift work pattern allows...Castle Hill in Huddersfield can be seen in the distance in quite a few episodes of L,O,T,S,W..It has a full 360 deg's view...and is fantastic on a clear night to see all the fireworks...We take a buttie and lots of hot coffee to keep us warm...and toast the New Year with a small bottle of beer..quite a few others go up there to release those chinese lanterns. :)

I do like to see the New Year, in. But from the comfort of my arm chair. with fireworks on the TV. Boring? possibly, but it is how we like it.

These days i do exactly the same thing watch the fireworks on the tv.I used to watch Jools Holland thinking it was live only to find out its filmed during the year.anyway it will be the fireworks again this year while annoying people by sending them new year messages at about half past midnight. :) :D ;D

I celebrated the new year two weeks ago at Warners Hotel Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight in the company of a lot of very merry folks.I shall see my second one in by staying at home watching the rubbish on tv and probably going to bed before midnight! Have a good christmas and a happy new year.

yes 3 of em. oh yes we have my nephew but hges fast asleep, when i was his age my ambition was to make it to midnight eACH YEAR, BUT AROUND 10-12 YEARS OLD I FINALLY MADE IT AND HAVE DONE EVER SINCE.

3 cats? Fab. My old cat loved all the fireworks at New Year and Bonfire Night. He used to sit in the window and watch them. Daft as a brush he was.

Once again, I currently don't do much to celebrate New Years now and I am out of touch with anything my eight year home of Washington DC does to celebrate it.

My hometown is Lancaster, PA and its "twin" city across the river is York, PA. Each town celebrates its new year by the countdown the the dropping of the Roses. Taken from England, Lancaster, drops a large red rose and York drops the large White Rose.

Once again, I currently don't do much to celebrate New Years now and I am out of touch with anything my eight year home of Washington DC does to celebrate it.

My hometown is Lancaster, PA and its "twin" city across the river is York, PA. Each town celebrates its new year by the countdown the the dropping of the Roses. Taken from England, Lancaster, drops a large red rose and York drops the large White Rose.

This is new to me, thanks for sharing that. Nice to see some Yorkshire rivalry stretching across the Atlantic ;D

This is new to me, thanks for sharing that. Nice to see some Yorkshire rivalry stretching across the Atlantic ;D

The only unfortunate thing is in Pennsylvania terms, I am on the opposing side!

I can handle losing the war of independence but I will be damned if I see Yorkshire (Or it's US equivalent) fall!!! Man the boats Men, we sail on Pennsylvania!! ;D

Back