Martin

Hi everyone. Joined the forum after surfing round t'internet following the sad last episode. :'(
I live in Northampton, originally from Liverpool and my late Fathers family all come from Holmfirth most still live there. As kids we used to go on holiday to my Nannas, back in 72 / 73 she lived at 28 Huddersfield rd - yep Nora's house. We stayed there lots when i was a kid and can remember the excitement when they were telling us about the BBC coming round looking for places to film a new comedy Our German Shepherd dog used to stay in the cellar down the steps that became compos house. I will try to dig out some photos to scan and post on the forum. We have one of my sister about 18 months old on the step with rollers in like a baby Nora but this was taken before the programme started. The family moved to the house at Albert Mill behind the fire station on Market st. A scene was filmed at the house of Compo hanging from a giant carrot, don't know which series or episode but I'll bet some one here will know it. Of course Albert Mill and the Market have all gone now. Great memories from Holmfirth (it was much quieter then).

Hi everyone. Joined the forum after surfing round t'internet following the sad last episode. :'(
I live in Northampton, originally from Liverpool and my late Fathers family all come from Holmfirth most still live there. As kids we used to go on holiday to my Nannas, back in 72 / 73 she lived at 28 Huddersfield rd - yep Nora's house. We stayed there lots when i was a kid and can remember the excitement when they were telling us about the BBC coming round looking for places to film a new comedy Our German Shepherd dog used to stay in the cellar down the steps that became compos house. I will try to dig out some photos to scan and post on the forum. We have one of my sister about 18 months old on the step with rollers in like a baby Nora but this was taken before the programme started. The family moved to the house at Albert Mill behind the fire station on Market st. A scene was filmed at the house of Compo hanging from a giant carrot, don't know which series or episode but I'll bet some one here will know it. Of course Albert Mill and the Market have all gone now. Great memories from Holmfirth (it was much quieter then).

Hello Martin and welcome. My uncle had a farm not too far from Holmfirth, just up the road from the White Horse and he was on the Crossroads -Windmill Farm - it's since been modernised by the people who bought it, they have ruined it's character it was over 400 years old. I have a lot of happy memories staying there in the school holidays and I have always loved the area and surrounding countryside ever since.
The episode ypu mention is 'Green Fingers' series 4, episode 6 and probably one of the funniest ever.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, see i knew one of you would have the answer instantly. :). The carrot episode demonstrates the weird world of showbiz. The props guys found they couldn't fit it properly to the wall, the remedy was to scrap the scene and hike it back to the props dept at the BBC. My uncle was the head engineer at Albert Mill hence the house came with the job as he was on call. He and some of the guys from the mill took it to their workshop and had it sorted and hung in no time. He was also a retained fireman at the station in Holmfirth, Stuart do you or anyone remember the siren going off and all the firemen racing down the streets to attend the shout?. I am meeting my sister next week on the way to the lakes, she has all the family pics so i will ask her to dig them out for me.

You are welcome.
I don't remeber the siren. It was very rarely we travelled into Holmfirth when I stayed there, my Aunt would drag her daughter and me into Pennistone or Huddersfield. The only time I got into Holmfirth back then was when he attended the market.

Hi Martin,

Greenfingers is a classic episode. One of the many things from the show that kept pulling me into it, which I am thankful for! Can't wait to see some of these photos. Welcome to the board!

Hi, welcome to the forum, Martin! I´m one of the European fans, from Germany, and I´m also the wrong age group (30). But I think I´m just right here ;D. Greenfingers is one of my favourite episodes, maybe it is my favourite of all. Geeat to hear about these things, I hope we get to see the photos!

Martin, then surely you know my friend Bernard Brook,
lives just across the road from the Holmfirth fire station and
once was a fireman there.

Back