My(very late)introduction to LOTSW

Hector

Dedicated Member
I can remember back in 73 or 74 watching three blokes sitting at a library table and just not finding it funny at all.I suppose at 13 or 14 i looked for things with much more excitement and a faster pace.I next ventured a look and saw the lads sitting on a hillside and again,it just wasnt for me.An uncle once asked me if i was looking forward to seeing the programme that evening and i told him i wouldnt watch that boring old rubbish.He looked at me as though i had two heads and informed me that it was the top rated comedy on television.I told him that the machine doing the caculations or something must be broken and should be fixed immediately.I had one more peep quite some time later and saw characters like Alvin and Entwistle and again,it didnt float my boat,so to speak.
All that changed about a year ago when going to bed early one evening.I searched through all the channels and could find nothing that interested me but noticed SW was showing and decided to have a look.Man i was totally hooked,i thoroughly enjoyed the episode where Compo drives Wesleys amphibian of the little jetty.I started to search for when SW was to be aired and made sure i didnt miss it.I was now so hooked i bought all the available DVDs i could find and the subsequent releases up until the end of the second Foggy era.
I think it was because i had become much older and my tastes,views and so on had changed and matured.I enjoyed the gentle humour and the wonderful comeradeship.I am also able to appreciate the wonderful writing genius of Roy Clarke and some of the fantasic charcters he created and also the actors who brought them to life.
I didnt think this would be so long but i hope you have enjoyed my entry to one of our national treasures

Hector

I would like to think that is called maturity - as we age the wine seems to mellow and we find it more palatable. I can recall the early episodes which I only watched sporadically as I did not have a TV! I do not think I took a great deal of notice in the early 70s - it was not until the 80s when I got a TV and a video recorder that I started watching in earnest.

Glad you now like the show

Back