My Trip to Holmfirth in July

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
What a super time we had only let down by our usual B&B which turned a nice few days into a big disappointment towards the end of our stay,I wont mention here what happened just to say we wont be going back,if you want to know why send me a PM.

The weather was hot,a little to hot for me,we ate at the usual places,Sid's for a snack,where they told me they do do sticky buns but they buy them in and they are not home made (Ivy would turn in her mixer if she knew). We had a light lunch in the Corner House Cafe which is undergoing improvements but the food is good and good value,we had a big celebration meal one evening at The Golden Cock Inn a few mile from Holmfirth, they do two main courses for £12 so good value though the portions are small,and one night we went to Compo's fish Bar for our usual old duffers meal.

On the Wednesday we had a taxi from the B&B to Huddersfield Uni to take part in our daughters graduation bash,the taxi avoid any parking problems at the Uni and was reasonable at £10,there is a picture of our Daughter with a group of Ladies who also graduated,our daughter is the one with the multi coloured print dress.

On the journey to Holmfirth we stopped in Low Bradfield to take some location pictures and Called into The Old School which has a nice Cafe upstairs and shop with lots of food options to take home downstairs, I should visit more often as it is only a 90 minute drive to Holmfirth,so even a day trip is no problem
Terry

Attachments

• SG.jpg
    SG.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 35
What a super time we had only let down by our usual B&B which turned a nice few days into a big disappointment towards the end of our stay,I wont mention here what happened just to say we wont be going back,if you want to know why send me a PM.

The weather was hot,a little to hot for me,we ate at the usual places,Sid's for a snack,where they told me they do do sticky buns but they buy them in and they are not home made (Ivy would turn in her mixer if she knew). We had a light lunch in the Corner House Cafe which is undergoing improvements but the food is good and good value,we had a big celebration meal one evening at The Golden Cock Inn a few mile from Holmfirth, they do two main courses for £12 so good value though the portions are small,and one night we went to Compo's fish Bar for our usual old duffers meal.

On the Wednesday we had a taxi from the B&B to Huddersfield Uni to take part in our daughters graduation bash,the taxi avoid any parking problems at the Uni and was reasonable at £10,there is a picture of our Daughter with a group of Ladies who also graduated,our daughter is the one with the multi coloured print dress.

On the journey to Holmfirth we stopped in Low Bradfield to take some location pictures and Called into The Old School which has a nice Cafe upstairs and shop with lots of food options to take home downstairs, I should visit more often as it is only a 90 minute drive to Holmfirth,so even a day trip is no problem
Terry

Sounds like a memorable trip. Congrats on your daughter. She is very pretty.

Does nobody else go to The Nook????? Why izzat??? Their burgers are great.

I've been looking at The Rooms at the Nook for possible lodgings when I visit — maybe in 2015, so I'll probably have a few meals in the pub, too. The room rates are a bit high, but there aren't too many flights of stairs, the stairways have landings rather than turns and they don't look too steep. I might have rebuilt enough muscle around my revised hip joint by then so none of that would make any difference, but I'm not counting on it.

Marianna

Hmmmm. Never thought of The Nook as a B&B. Mostly they do
great burgers and some really wonderful ales. We used to stay
at Springfield House (on Huddersfield road, across from The
Postcard). Now we take Nora Batty's cottage for a self
catering.

Hmmmm. Never thought of The Nook as a B&B. Mostly they do great burgers and some really wonderful ales. We used to stay at Springfield House (on Huddersfield road, across from The Postcard). Now we take Nora Batty's cottage for a self catering.

I had looked at both the Springfield House and Nora's cottage, but the stairs seemed potentially somewhere between painful and impossible. The "Rooms at the Nook" is/are a quite recent innovation. The TripAdvisor reviews have been very positive so far. If you hit the right spot when you drop the little Google Earth avatar on the roof of the building, you'll find yourself in one of the rooms. Then you can roam around the building. The rooms and corridors look very nice — clean, bright and well-designed for practicality as well as for aesthetics. Most of the time, though, the avatar will land you in the pub. I haven't figured out yet how to control it.

Marianna

What a super time ....

Terry

Sounds good - and I think that a colourful dress is not a bad idea - often the graduation outfits can be a bit sombre. I bet you are really pleased with her success. Pass on my best wishes.

Sorry to hear of B & B problems though.

Hey Terry. Do you know if colin is still doing the summerwine magic tour.

I am not really sure amos, pretty sure I spotted the bus in the lay bye when I was there a few weeks back,you could try calling Sid's on 07706 823 855 and ask

Terry

Back