My internet and phone keep breaking down

toodlepip

Dedicated Member
Just to let you know in case I vanish for a few days, my phone and internet are playing up at the moment, have been for the past few days already, but only for a few seconds, but last night it was all gone for hours and will probably happen again. Technicians are only available on Monday, so I hope everything will be running stable again soon. Very annoying, if at least one of them would keep working... (lol, phone and internet I mean, not the technicians)!

I had a momentary vision of you standing over a cowering technician smacking him with a dap!

Talking about annoying computers. I have just started getting a message "Out of memory line:1". It comes on my screen every time I change pages. Anybody know how to get rid of it?

i get instant savings pop ups and images, are they viruses or just popups?

Another term- dap - what is it?

guessing from where Rhi is based - a dap would be a plimsoll.

Many years ago I came across the term in Gloucestershire,, Nailsworth to be precise, when on teaching practice for the first time the children used that word when we suggested games. The teachers there at the time in that class did not usually take games as it was a bit more strenuous than they could cope with!

Football on a field with a 1 in 3 slope!

And I have just realised that I need to translate plimsoll for some = trainer?

I would suggest that "trainer" is the same either side of the pond. For Uk "plimsoll" I would be more inclined to say "gym shoe", "tennis shoe" or "sneaker".

But, as always, I could be lying.

You're right, Barmpot. A dap is a plimsole. A soft shoe for indoor sports. At least thats what it is here in Neath!!

LOL, so this is how you get from your telephone to plimsoles! No, I didn´t smack anybody, but it seems they have found out there is a problem, and even better, probably as well what it is. But at the moment I´m online as you can see.

LOL, so this is how you get from your telephone to plimsoles! No, I didn´t smack anybody, but it seems they have found out there is a problem, and even better, probably as well what it is. But at the moment I´m online as you can see.

Hope they fix it once and for all for you ****,wow how lost would we all be if out internet failed for a long long time

I would suggest that "trainer" is the same either side of the pond. For Uk "plimsoll" I would be more inclined to say "gym shoe", "tennis shoe" or "sneaker".

Yes probably a better translation - I seem to recall that there was yet another term in the south but can not remember precisely what it was...

Yes probably a better translation - I seem to recall that there was yet another term in the south but can not remember precisely what it was...

Pumps?

Pumps?
Probably muddying the water UNC, but was pumps also another American name for dance shoes??

Probably muddying the water UNC, but was pumps also another American name for dance shoes??

Yes, I think you are quite right. We maybe need for them to wake up to confirm. But I do seem to recall our using it in the south for plimsolls. But then again, I have not lived there for over fifty years.

And if our use of the word "pumps" confuses them, well, it is our language which they have only borrowed and then mistreated. And they deserve to be confused after sending us Snowstorm Nemo.

Actually, I am being a bit unkind accusing the US of mistreating the language. The language in the US simply developed slightly differently with the two populations being relatively isolated for many years. I do note that in general our US cousins take a lot more care over their contributions with attention to grammar and punctuation - all highly critical to me as I feel sloppiness in these areas is an insult to those with whom I am trying to comunicate.

Actually, I am being a bit unkind accusing the US of mistreating the language. The language in the US simply developed slightly differently with the two populations being relatively isolated for many years. I do note that in general our US cousins take a lot more care over their contributions with attention to grammar and punctuation - all highly critical to me as I feel sloppiness in these areas is an insult to those with whom I am trying to comunicate.

Clegg on the use of language in "The Treasure of the Deep" - in response to Seymour's complaint about boys writing on toilet walls:

"I always think it was a mistake to have obscene words of only four letters. I mean, if your obscene words had a compulsory minimum of eight letters, most of your graffiti freaks would have to retire overnight."

Marvellous!!!!

You're right, Barmpot. A dap is a plimsole. A soft shoe for indoor sports. At least thats what it is here in Neath!!

Ther was an episode in 'Frost' where he was working out and went into a sports shop to buy Plimsoles. The blank stare he got from the salesman said it all.

Ther was an episode in 'Frost' where he was working out and went into a sports shop to buy Plimsoles. The blank stare he got from the salesman said it all.

Real LOTSW. We have gone right off the topic as specified in the "Subject" line.

What brought me back was that I noted we have developed a spelling variation. I admit I used "plimsoll" as that was the first variant (used by Barmpot). Now I note that "plimsole" is being used. Looks like either is correct, maybe with "plimsoll" being US and "plimsole being UK (according to Wikipedia). More of interest from Wikipedia:

"Regional terms are common: in Northern Ireland and central Scotland they are sometimes known as gutties; "sannies" (from 'sand shoe') is also used in Scotland as is the term 'Two boab sliders'. In parts of the West Country and Wales they are known as "daps" or "dappers". In London, the home counties, much of the West Midlands, and north west of England they are known as "pumps".[2] There is a widespread belief that "daps" is taken from a factory sign - "Dunlop Athletic Plimsoles" which was called "the DAP factory". However, this seems unlikely as the first citation in the Oxford English Dictionary of "dap" for a rubber soled shoe is a March 1924 use in the Western Daily Press newspaper; Dunlop did not acquire the Liverpool Rubber Company (as part of the merger with the Macintosh group of companies) until 1925.

As it was commonly used for corporal punishment in the British Commonwealth, where it was the typical gym shoe (part of the school uniform), plimsolling is also a synonym for a slippering.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plimsoll_shoe

Pumps?

That is the one I now remember from my youth in the south of England.

Back