My Holmfirth Trip

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
It is the first time I have had to stay in Holmfirth for some years,before I lived a 40 minute drive away and no problems to just pop over, now it is at least a 3 hour round trip.The plan was to track down as many location shots as possible,helped by Claye in tracking these down and armed with Camera,GPS devices and postcodes,it should of been easy,they turned out to be dotted all over the place,the weather after day one was terrible and this hampered us getting to some of the really remote places,still always another day to get to them.

As I mentioned before my stay at Old Stoney Bank guest house was very comfortable and a good central point to work from, I did learn that David Jason has been directing a pilot for a new TV show in the area, about undertakers,as yet to be sold to a TV company.

It was sad to see that the cafe square and Nora's was in darkness at nightfall,I did expect to see some lighting,these spots bring in many tourist/money to the area and in the past always looked that little bit special with a few lights,also after promoting the Picturedrome in Holmfirth showing out-takes the place was locked and bolted and no signs of life day or night,so I must remove that so folk do not make to trip just to see the show, a simple e-mail from the owner would of been nice.

Both nights we ate in Compo's fish bar as most of the other eating houses were either closed,very noisy or very expensive, while in the Slaithwaite area by the canal we spotted a floating food barge called Moonraker,which was great fun and nice to get something hot inside as it was very wet that day,on the way home we called into the Woodman PH in Kirkburton, we did a quick U turn as they wanted over £7 for a cheese sandwich,this was after calling into the Clothiers arms in Stocksmoor, which has a huge car park and food signs everywhere only to find they do not serve food until 6pm.

There was a couple of Locations that had starred me in the face for years and I had never spotted before,plus at the last moment I spotted the house used in "Going to Gordon's Wedding" but due to roadworks it was impossible to get a picture,it is a little way up Back Lane with the Junc of South Lane in Holmfirth

So I have come back with some interesting pictures and a cold, some of the pictures I have started to post in a little quiz on the forum,the others I will sort through this week and post
Terry

Thanks so very much for all this information. Makes me feel like I was there myself. I wasn't surprised about the prices of food. Hey when you are in a popular and tourist area you expect that. So thanks again..

Did you get to try the new "pub" down by the bus station?Called
Brambles?? Cheap beer, but more of a lounge than a pub.

Ended up back at The Nook and The Old Bridge.

Did you get to try the new "pub" down by the bus station?Called
Brambles?? Cheap beer, but more of a lounge than a pub.

Ended up back at The Nook and The Old Bridge.

Did not go in the Brambles,did get into the Old Bridge plus the Postcard, both were almost empty in the evening

Thanks so very much for all this information. Makes me feel like I was there myself. I wasn't surprised about the prices of food. Hey when you are in a popular and tourist area you expect that. So thanks again..

I agree the prices can be reflected due to being a tourist area,yet good food and value can be found,like in the Corner House Cafe

It is the first time I have had to stay in Holmfirth for some years,before I lived a 40 minute drive away and no problems to just pop over, now it is at least a 3 hour round trip.The plan was to track down as many location shots as possible,helped by Claye in tracking these down and armed with Camera,GPS devices and postcodes,it should of been easy,they turned out to be dotted all over the place,the weather after day one was terrible and this hampered us getting to some of the really remote places,still always another day to get to them.

As I mentioned before my stay at Old Stoney Bank guest house was very comfortable and a good central point to work from, I did learn that David Jason has been directing a pilot for a new TV show in the area, about undertakers,as yet to be sold to a TV company.

It was sad to see that the cafe square and Nora's was in darkness at nightfall,I did expect to see some lighting,these spots bring in many tourist/money to the area and in the past always looked that little bit special with a few lights,also after promoting the Picturedrome in Holmfirth showing out-takes the place was locked and bolted and no signs of life day or night,so I must remove that so folk do not make to trip just to see the show, a simple e-mail from the owner would of been nice.

Both nights we ate in Compo's fish bar as most of the other eating houses were either closed,very noisy or very expensive, while in the Slaithwaite area by the canal we spotted a floating food barge called Moonraker,which was great fun and nice to get something hot inside as it was very wet that day,on the way home we called into the Woodman PH in Kirkburton, we did a quick U turn as they wanted over £7 for a cheese sandwich,this was after calling into the Clothiers arms in Stocksmoor, which has a huge car park and food signs everywhere only to find they do not serve food until 6pm.

There was a couple of Locations that had starred me in the face for years and I had never spotted before,plus at the last moment I spotted the house used in "Going to Gordon's Wedding" but due to roadworks it was impossible to get a picture,it is a little way up Back Lane with the Junc of South Lane in Holmfirth

So I have come back with some interesting pictures and a cold, some of the pictures I have started to post in a little quiz on the forum,the others I will sort through this week and post
Terry

Sounded great by the way where exactly is compos cafe is it in holmfirth

Back