My first trip to Holmfirth.

On Wednesday,my wife and I set out from Kent for our first trip to Holmfirth.

Heath and I arrived at Holmfirth and found parking at the Co-op as all the smaller places were full. We walked to Nora and Compo's place and took a few photo's while I tried to absorb the fact that I was actually here. Heather has never seen a single episode,which will soon be rectified.

We had a couple of drinks and lunch across the small bridge in the Elephant and Castle P.H.

Another couple that we met in the E & C were also staying at the White Horse and had done Colin's Coach Tour and said that the pub arranged for them to be picked up directly at the White Horse by Colin on his way in to Sid's Cafe for the first trip of the day.

We went back to the Museum next to Compo's but it was closed despite being 2.30 and not supposed to be closed until 3. Not a problem as I'd acquired a taste for Tetley's in the E & C and knew that we'd be back tomorrow.

We'd booked two nights at the White Horse Inn at Jackson Bridge so drove there and stayed in the rest of the late afternoon and evening and had a very nice meal there.
Facebook detectives will find out what we ate as I left a review !

Thursday

After a very nice English Breakfast, Colin arrived at 10.20,very cheerful and drove us in the Coach to Sid's. This felt like an absolute bonus and we got off at the Cafe and took a few pic's around the square before popping into the Church which sells second hand books. I can't resist a second hand book shop,I have to dive in and we bought a few.
We boarded just before 11 and the full bus took us around various places throughout the area. He is a very good driver and a mine of information.

It was an eye opener as to how far and wide the various scenes were filmed.

When the tour was over,we went into Sid's Cafe for a Cuppa and I took a few pictures. We then had a drink in the E & C before visiting the Museum which I found very enjoyable and yet very sad. It's hard to put into words but the series and characters absorb you,so to know that most of them have passed on is somewhat overwhelming.

Walking up Upperthong Road to the Church.It felt like a personal Pilgrimage,visiting the Graves of two people that I'd never met but that had given me so much enjoyment over the past few years.

When I arrive back in Kent I think I'll enjoy watching them from Series 1 with a heightened sense of familiarity.

Vic

Sounds like a real nice time. Thanks for sharing with us. Sounds like Heather is in for a treat being able to watch the show for the first time. To relate to the seeing the locations on screen and having actually to have visited them.

LB&S, that's just your first trip. I bet you cant wait to explore further afield. It gets into your blood & becomes addictive. We are popping up for 3days this week. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

On Wednesday,my wife and I set out from Kent for our first trip to Holmfirth.

Heath and I arrived at Holmfirth and found parking at the Co-op as all the smaller places were full. We walked to Nora and Compo's place and took a few photo's while I tried to absorb the fact that I was actually here. Heather has never seen a single episode,which will soon be rectified.

We had a couple of drinks and lunch across the small bridge in the Elephant and Castle P.H.

Another couple that we met in the E & C were also staying at the White Horse and had done Colin's Coach Tour and said that the pub arranged for them to be picked up directly at the White Horse by Colin on his way in to Sid's Cafe for the first trip of the day.

We went back to the Museum next to Compo's but it was closed despite being 2.30 and not supposed to be closed until 3. Not a problem as I'd acquired a taste for Tetley's in the E & C and knew that we'd be back tomorrow.

We'd booked two nights at the White Horse Inn at Jackson Bridge so drove there and stayed in the rest of the late afternoon and evening and had a very nice meal there.
Facebook detectives will find out what we ate as I left a review !

Thursday

After a very nice English Breakfast, Colin arrived at 10.20,very cheerful and drove us in the Coach to Sid's. This felt like an absolute bonus and we got off at the Cafe and took a few pic's around the square before popping into the Church which sells second hand books. I can't resist a second hand book shop,I have to dive in and we bought a few.
We boarded just before 11 and the full bus took us around various places throughout the area. He is a very good driver and a mine of information.

It was an eye opener as to how far and wide the various scenes were filmed.

When the tour was over,we went into Sid's Cafe for a Cuppa and I took a few pictures. We then had a drink in the E & C before visiting the Museum which I found very enjoyable and yet very sad. It's hard to put into words but the series and characters absorb you,so to know that most of them have passed on is somewhat overwhelming.

Walking up Upperthong Road to the Church.It felt like a personal Pilgrimage,visiting the Graves of two people that I'd never met but that had given me so much enjoyment over the past few years.

When I arrive back in Kent I think I'll enjoy watching them from Series 1 with a heightened sense of familiarity.

Vic
So you were there when I was there, had a meal in the E&C Tuesday night and Lunch at the White Horse on Wednesday, Sid's café and the Wrinkled are closed on Wednesday's until School holidays

Where you coming from Barry, you may need a special passport, I can arrange that for a small fee, well a couple of sticky buns should do it

Following on from this thread, I too made my first 'proper' visit to Holmfirth for a couple of days, having previously only dropped in for a few hours passing through. I stopped at the Holme Valley Campsite and slept in the back of my car for the first night and then at The Old Bridge Inn for the second night (talk about extremes!)

The campsite is beautiful and I've already booked a motorhome hire to stay there again, I was surprised to see on the Summerwine map that it'd been used a few times in the series. The Bridge is a really nice hotel and perfectly located, didn't think it was worth the £130 a night cost tho'

I visited loads of great places, there is a new really cool micro brewery called The Magic Rock Tap which is definitely worth a visit, with some amazing locally brewed ales - they even have a film night there! Also there is quite a trendy wine bar opened called Cask which I really enjoyed. Also visited the usual LOTSW haunts such as The Wrinkled Stocking and Exhibition, I was very moved when I visited the graves at the church up the steep hill.

Overall I was blown away with what a truly amazing place Holmfirth has evolved into, as well as visiting the so many familiar locations, there is so many wonderful independent shops, cafes & bars to visit.

For anyone who hasn't been I wholeheartedly recommend you go sometime - I loved it so much that I'm already booked for a return visit in October :cool:

When you go again you should definitely visit Daisy Lane book shop.
Thanks Pearl did pass it, but I think it was closed, I'll definitely look it up next time. There is a lovely cafe at the back of the Co-Op car park called Scufflers, amazing Cappuccinos !

£130 a night…. Just let me get back up off the floor ;)
We’re camping in the Peak District in our van this weekend.. £13 a night :)
That's incredible Ferret, it would cost you more than that to stay at the caravan in all mod conned! I take it that doesn't include electrical hook up?

Back