musings about Edie Pegden

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
Do you think it would be safe to say the character of Edie Pegden had a bit of an OCD complex? You reflect on things like how she always put newspaper down whenever Wesley entered the house or sat on a chair, the way she fastidiously kept the house in immaculate condition, the way she checked the lock on her front door to make sure it was locked, the way she always blamed Wesley's tinkering with the car instead of her inept driving skills, etc. Your thoughts please.

I loved this woman she reminds me of my mother so much, yes diffidently OCD, the door checking and going round twice unplugging anything is a dead give away.

My mam used to put papers down when she washed the kitchen floor and so do I now still. The driving :D Well what can one say about that except we all know someone like that :D

I must be a sufferer too,every time I leave the house and close the front door I just cannot help pushing it to make sure it`s closed and Eadie comes to mind sometimes when I do it! But I cant say that I obsess about my floor or my work surfaces too much. I revert to bachelor mode when it comes to housework :D :D

She really was a great charachter and how she ruled Wesley with a rod of iron ,one deamenar and his favoutite pudding was no longer served.Her way of silencing Glenda ,drink your coffee,was just like my late granfmother who could silence a room with one look!I tend to push the door to check if its locked and go round at night to check all doors and windows.DRINK YOUR COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's probably sacrilege but sometimes I felt that Thora Hird had a tendency to over act when playing Edie. The majority of the time, she was great but sometimes, her performance just felt a little bit over the top.
Norman Wisdom was another one I felt that way towards.

I know it's probably sacrilege but sometimes I felt that Thora Hird had a tendency to over act when playing Edie. Norman Wisdom was another one I felt that way towards.

Not sure about Thora but Mr Wisdom could not stop acting even when nothing was happening,if he had even the smallest of audience he would fool around,I believe this used to get on some peoples nerves

I know it's probably sacrilege but sometimes I felt that Thora Hird had a tendency to over act when playing Edie. Norman Wisdom was another one I felt that way towards.

Not sure about Thora but Mr Wisdom could not stop acting even when nothing was happening,if he had even the smallest of audience he would fool around,I believe this used to get on some peoples nerves

Yes, with him it was constant. I don't even watch episodes he's featured in anymore.

I think for the age Thora was is did a great job, towards the end it just looked like she was being propped up against things but I know what you mean about over acting but I tend to forgive that on account of her age.
I think the early years she was great, in Uncle Of The Bride she was flawless and in Jaws she was great too.
We have to bear in mind that these actors are still treading the boards 30-40 years after the rest of us have retired. :D

I think that Norman was one of Britains greatest comedy actors and also one of the most versatile,he could do serious stuff as well as comedy.I would reccomend reading his autobiography as it offers good insights into his charachter and determanation and his very humble beginnings.

I think for the age Thora was is did a great job, towards the end it just looked like she was being propped up against things but I know what you mean about over acting but I tend to forgive that on account of her age.
I think the early years she was great, in Uncle Of The Bride she was flawless and in Jaws she was great too.
We have to bear in mind that these actors are still treading the boards 30-40 years after the rest of us have retired. :D

I'm sure you're right about age being a big part of it. I thought Thora was great in the earlier series too. On the other hand, I thought that Frank Thornton was fantastic (as an actor) all the way til the end of the show's run in spite of his advanced years. I wasn't a big fan of the Truly era but I can't take away from the job he did.

Well said Don, you have to take your hat off to the actors that keep going. Surely they don't all need the money when they get to 80/90 years old so they must do it because they love the work. :)

I know it's probably sacrilege but sometimes I felt that Thora Hird had a tendency to over act when playing Edie. The majority of the time, she was great but sometimes, her performance just felt a little bit over the top.

I saw her in "All Creatures Great and Small" in a one off as a very plain country woman and you could tell that she was trying very hard not to go into Edie.

Oh, Don, I definitely agree with you about Norman Wisdom!

Lets not forget that Thora was a brilliant charchter actress and that she put her all into any part she played,its a shame that today there are very few actresses that are like her.She was like many women of her era,tough and supportive to her family think Barry must have been completely shell shocked the first time he met her.

Lets not forget that Thora was a brilliant charchter actress and that she put her all into any part she played

We have been watching old copies of Thora Hird in
In Loving Memory with Christopher Beeny, two old
SW stalwarts. What a funny series!! She was really good.

Back