Mr Wainwright Chief Librarian

What gets me is that the old shows that are supposed to be vulgar and politically incorrect are in fact funnier, cleaner, better written, more likeable, more jolly and more suitable for the whole family than the dark, depressing, box ticking, swearing-laden crud they make today.

Very well said, wstol. I couldn't agree with you more. :03:

To clarify I have watched and love the Carry on Films, It ain't half hot mum, on the buses etc . I will continue to watch them because I long ago accepted that they were of a time and whilst that may appear hypocritical with my other posts in the thread I commenced by purely presenting my view on our beloved show in the context of Mr Wainwright . I simply don't think the episodes in which he appeared warranted his inclusion . I don't think Roy Clarke needed to go down that route . The rest of my diatribe is a regurgitation of what I have read in reviews , comments on blogs and in books about the aforementioned shows to simply convey the opposite view to those held by many of the other members .

I don't think Mr Wainwright added anything to the show, but don't forget, the programme was going to be called The Library Mob, and the first two series were set in the library a considerable time - so you need a librarian in charge, who has to have some sort of character.

I think by Series Three they must have decided the library scenes were not needed anymore - and so the trio didn't tend to go there again, until the 90s, and then the library was brought back on a regular basis with Miss Davenport.

Mr Wainwright wasn't lecherous in a fun On the Buses/Carry On way. He was very left wing and intellectual, and although he had some excellent moments, and was even brought back for Series Three, having missed the previous series, someone must have thought he, and most importantly the library, were not needed for Series Four.

Blake Butler did a job with the role, and this is arguably his best known part.

I don't think Mr Wainwright added anything to the show, but don't forget, the programme was going to be called The Library Mob, and the first two series were set in the library a considerable time - so you need a librarian in charge, who has to have some sort of character.

I saw the value in the intellectual authority figure being at odds with the three redundant men just hanging out in the library. Although, Blamire was a different sort of authority figure as well.

We only have to look at Compo's relationship with both Nora and Ivy......
He admitted in "The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty" that he "jumps out at women" [his words not mine].
Neither Nora or Ivy encouraged him to grope them....FOR MORE THAN 3 DECADES !!!....but we all sit back and accept his behaviour.....so really....we cannot complain about the lecherous left winger can we ?????......
Compo spent his life jumping on Nora and Ivy.....whereas Mr.Wainwright just touched Miss Moody's leg [and she did not shriek and complain like Nora and Ivy did for decades],and indulged in a bit of "courting" with Mrs. Partridge [again consentual]......one rule for one maybe ??????.
X!

Back