Moth-be-gone.

Rhi

Dedicated Member
I'm off to Lampeter this morning. Theres a brilliant old fashioned Ironmongers shop there. I'm in search of a moth killer that doesn't pong too much. Anybody got any remedies for moths? They ate holes through 3 jumpers and a few t shirts last year and I'm not having it again! Any old fashioned remedies? And spiders. Anyone know for sure something that deters house spiders? The one that hurtled across my living room 2 night ago was huge. I'm not keen on them, but I don't really want to kill them, I'd rather they didn't like my house. ??? :-\

The think I use is a husband, he's old fashioned and he doesn't pong but he moans like billyo and isn't good to look at at 3am running round the bedroom in his undies with a rolled up paper trying to catch it! But he gets the job done............. Mainly because theres no way he's getting back in bed until its gone! :D :D

Hope you find something, if you do let me know because mine is better slower.

There are some phenome moth traps which are odourless but they only last three months - they attract the blighters and they stick to the surface. Cedar balls work too, but they need rubbing with glasspaper every three months or so to bring out the smell.After a few years I am told it will nto work.

Lavender periodically refreshed with lavender oil is said to work.

The moth balls these days, if you can get them, contain paradichlro benzene and certainly effective but smelly. However most are mixed with inert substances to make them cheaper to manufacture (not to buy) and often last about two weeks! They are poisonous.

The original ones of years ago were napthalene - unlikely you will get these as they are not a good thing due to flammability although, as a former chemistry teacher I quite liked their aroma.

Both sorts of moth balls in the pure state eventually end up disappearing as the solid sublimates straight into the gas or vapour which is what kills the moth.

The one thing that will work is dry cleaning. The store items in a plastic bag - the cleaning kills all stages and the moths do not like clean fibres! Most woollen garments can be safely dry cleaned and they come back beautifully pressed - far better than I can ever manage!

I know all this because I have lost several woollen items including ties, jumpers and one jacket. They also like silk.

Sounds effective, Susan! ;D I like it!

I tried cedar balls last year, Barmpot. I think the moths in Neath like them!!! Yes, the ones that disappear. I had those. If I find them I'll try again.
I got to that ironmongers in Lampeter. I bought some rentokill moth killers. Also a load of other stuff I didn't need. ??? I find them irresistible, these old market town ironmongers.

I don't know if this would help with moths but some years ago we were over run by ants which appeared to be nesting in the house wall. The exterminator would come and spray but never did any good. I saw something on one of the selling channels ,"get rid of all household pests" It involved two plug in things that created some form of field in the wiring in the house(I don't know how)but I thought I'd give them a try. Within 12 months no more ants , and they went for good! An added bonus was that we didn't see any spiders when they were on. Flies also lessened in number. Even now we still use them and have no ants but occasionally we get the odd spider. :)

Sorry, cciaffone. Lampeter is the English name for a mid-Wales market town. Its Welsh name is Llanbedr pont Steffan. I don't know what you'd call ironmongers in America. A hardware store maybe? This one sells everything from teapots to mouse traps, and paint to dustpans. Mugs, candles, torches, screws and nails by the ounce, carpet cleaners and even spare broom handles.

There's a nice little one next to Sids Cafe in Holmfirth, we've bought a washing line and a tin opener in there. ;D ;D

OK, and thanks for that.

I do know the hardware store near Sid's Cafe.

But what is a "Moth Killer?" Is this mechanical or chemical??

OK, and thanks for that.

I do know the hardware store near Sid's Cafe.

But what is a "Moth Killer?" Is this mechanical or chemical??

I think these days it is chemical as the mechanical ones we used (A Machine Gun) has now been banned

Thanks for all your explanations. Just two countries separated
by a common language??

In any case, I am a bit amazed that y'all, living in a much
cooler climate, have moth problems that we in a really
really HOTTTT!! climate do not seem to have. Maybe they
are spraying unbeknownst to me???

Thanks for all your explanations. Just two countries separated
by a common language??

In any case, I am a bit amazed that y'all, living in a much
cooler climate, have moth problems that we in a really
really HOTTTT!! climate do not seem to have. Maybe they
are spraying unbeknownst to me???

I remember while living in Pennsylvania we had moth issues and when we moved to Florida that disappeared. Makes you wonder??

I'm off to Lampeter this morning. Theres a brilliant old fashioned Ironmongers shop there. I'm in search of a moth killer that doesn't pong too much. Anybody got any remedies for moths? They ate holes through 3 jumpers and a few t shirts last year and I'm not having it again! Any old fashioned remedies? And spiders. Anyone know for sure something that deters house spiders? The one that hurtled across my living room 2 night ago was huge. I'm not keen on them, but I don't really want to kill them, I'd rather they didn't like my house. ??? :-\

Spiders are supposed to be a good sign. Their presence indicates house is dry. However:

d199d3e0ea3a01300958001dd8b71c47

B.C.!!! I loved B.C.! Thanks for that cartoon, Big Unc, I have a few B.C. books and haven't thought about them in a long time. ;D

Back