Mobile cell sites in Rural areas

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that mobile companies are busy planning new cell sites to cover many of the UK's not spots, many of the areas have had little or no coverage for years, and no matter how many times these companies have been approached, the answer is always, we are investing millions to improve coverage, yet nothing happens, so why the sudden rush to improve coverage in these area, you may well ask.
Well it is not a sudden rush to improve the coverage for the people that live there, it is in fact the the power companies need coverage for their smart meters to work,the meters have a sim fitted to send all sorts of data back to the energy company which includes a meter tamper device.

So to add to those hideous Wind Turbines that blight our green and pleasant land some of our rural areas are going to presumably be afflicted with the site of Communication towers spring up in some our treasured places aaaaargh!! :mad::02:

So to add to those hideous Wind Turbines that blight our green and pleasant land some of our rural areas are going to presumably be afflicted with the site of Communication towers spring up in some our treasured places aaaaargh!! :mad::02:

What makes it worse is that BT mobile under the name EE, will not share services with the other providers in rural areas, the other main providers were happy to do this, so in some spots just 1 mast but all services were available from it.

How is the cell phone service in the greater Holmfirth area? What is a provider in the area with a decent signal? For trip planning purposes, getting a temporary SIM card. :)

How is the cell phone service in the greater Holmfirth area? What is a provider in the area with a decent signal? For trip planning purposes, getting a temporary SIM card. :)

If I recall they all vary depending on what hill your on or what valley your in

I've never checked the number of bars, but the O2 SIM in the SIM 2 slot of my phone picked up a sufficient signal to call my favorite taxi company to book a taxi from the Holmfirth bus station to Huddersfield rail station. (There's a designated pick-up spot for taxis just before Stand C, although the sign is often blocked by a prolific pot of flowers.) I made the call from my room on the top floor of The Rooms At The Nook, so I was pretty high up, but in a stone building.

My O2 SIM is permanent, for use anywhere in the world, although the cost per minute is quite a lot higher than my US service provider, Tracfone, charges. I bought it in Oxford, at the O2 store, when I arrived there two years ago straight off the plane from Detroit to Heathrow. It's a pay-as-you-go, and has to be used for a paid service a few times a year to keep the number active. To that end, whenever I think of it I sent a text message consisting of the word "Text" from that SIM to the Tracfone SIM in the next slot. After a bit of internet surfing, I found a site where I can top it up from the States. Until then, the only way to top up that I, or the folks at the O2 stores in Oxford, London (Tottenham Court Road) and Huddersfield knew of was at one of the stores or other top-up sites in the UK.

I didn't realize it when I bought my current phone, but it must have been one of the last dual SIM models with a separate slot for a memory card made for sale in the States. Apparently, Americans travel abroad so little that there isn't a sufficient market for dual SIM models here. They're still available, but not with a US warranty, and the instructions are likely to be in Chinese.

Back