Misty eyes.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
I don`t know whether it`s through misty eyed sentiment or what, but the more I look at the earlier episodes the more I`m convinced that the show was so much better in those earlier years.The loss of Bill Owen was the single biggest factor I think, but there are other factors, not all of which I can explain or reason why. I`m not sure the idea of transplanting Burt Kwouk as a Yorkshire man worked all that well. Billy and Alvin were endearing characters enough but for me the series never hit the lofty heights set by the earlier actors.

For my dad and I it has to be the Foggy, Cleggy & Compo years.We always enjoy these episodes either on UK Gold, Yesterday or on dvd more than any other characters. Though we like Seymour. Howard, Pearl,Marina, Wesley and a few others. Series 'lost' its way with a few other characters - never liked Russ Abbott in the series.

I don`t know whether it`s through misty eyed sentiment or what, but the more I look at the earlier episodes the more I`m convinced that the show was so much better in those earlier years.The loss of Bill Owen was the single biggest factor I think, but there are other factors, not all of which I can explain or reason why. I`m not sure the idea of transplanting Burt Kwouk as a Yorkshire man worked all that well. Billy and Alvin were endearing characters enough but for me the series never hit the lofty heights set by the earlier actors.

Somehow this keeps coming around. For me the lead character was always Clegg and as long as he played a prominent role, particularly as Roy Clarke's alter ego the show always gave me a great deal of pleasure. And, after all, the script was always by Roy Clarke.

I must state that at times I found Foggy irritating and, indeed, his gauchness was at time embarrassing. He was never my favourite Third Man.

So I was always content up to I suppose the end of Series #27. I did feel that the loss of Billy resulted in lack of compensation for Clegg's reduced role. And as far as I was concerned, if Foggy was irritating and embarrassing, Hoobo was plain idiotic.

Somehow this keeps coming around. For me the lead character was always Clegg and as long as he played a prominent role, particularly as Roy Clarke's alter ego the show always gave me a great deal of pleasure. And, after all, the script was always by Roy Clarke.

I must state that at times I found Foggy irritating and, indeed, his gauchness was at time embarrassing. He was never my favourite Third Man.

So I was always content up to I suppose the end of Series #27. I did feel that the loss of Billy resulted in lack of compensation for Clegg's reduced role. And as far as I was concerned, if Foggy was irritating and embarrassing, Hoobo was plain idiotic.

This is similar to the "Is this the Real Ending?" topic, but I will add my "2 cents" as well. I tend to agree with Big Unc on about 90% of his thoughts over the course of covering such topics. (I know Big Unc will correct me if I am wrong). I know I am in the minority when I say that the post-Compo era was my favorite. I am currently viewing Series 24 and to me it is outstanding.

However, I will acknowledge that so much of the early years were fabulous. Despite being in the middle of my favorite era, I still miss the Compo, Clegg, and Foggy (or Seymour) eras. Someone previously mentioned that the possibility of different scripts would have been limited if the show remained focus around the original trios. However, there could have been more "traveling episodes" since those always seemed a big hit.

So Onyx, while we have different thoughts on our favorite eras, I will add to your sentiment. Since this is similar to the other recent thread, I will post my thoughts from that thread here in case anyone missed it.

There were so many great moments, especially from Foggy's first run. I recall the Flag and its Snag episodes, Scarborough episodes, Greenfingers, Going to Gordon's Wedding, and so much of season 8 as absolutely great moments. While it is not my absolute favorite era, it might come pretty close (especially with early Series 8).

Adding to that thought, I always found Seymour's first few episodes particualry great. This was more when he was an affable eccentric type and before he changed to a pretentious headmaster type.

It seems we all have different views about favorite Eras, favorite and not so favorite characters but in the end, and maybe for different reasons we are all passionate about Summer Wine.If I have translated Big Unc`s post correctly he says "The more things change, the more they stay the same".
That short foreign language post is probably the best,most relevant post I have read on the forum so far.Well said Big Unc. Bien dit!

If I have translated Big Unc`s post correctly he says "The more things change, the more they stay the same".
That short foreign language post is probably the best,most relevant post I have read on the forum so far.Well said Big Unc. Bien dit!

Chacun à son goût and vive la différence!

Interesting - I have always thought "chacun à son goût", translated as "each to his own taste", to be correct. However a bit of Googling suggests that the correct expressions in French are chacun ses goûts / à chacun ses goûts / à chacun son goût: "to each his/her own taste(s)". One can never trust the French - the Channel Tunnel was a big mistake - see episode "The Frenchies Are Coming".

Interesting - I have always thought "chacun à son goût", translated as "each to his own taste", to be correct. However a bit of Googling suggests that the correct expressions in French are chacun ses goûts / à chacun ses goûts / à chacun son goût: "to each his/her own taste(s)". One can never trust the French - the Channel Tunnel was a big mistake - see episode "The Frenchies Are Coming".

Not to change the subject too much but I just watched "The Frenchies are Coming" yesterday. To me it is an excellent episode.

I love the early episodes with Michael Bates especially Pate and Chips, The New Mobile Trio,Forked Lightning and The Changing Face Of Rural Blamire. I was 10 when Foggy arrived and remember watching some of these episodes when they were first shown. I've bought the series with Foggy as the new man on dvd and think there are some brilliant episodes some of my favourites include Greenfingers, Whoops, All Mod Conned, Getting Sam Home, Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty and The Kink in Foggys Niblick. I can't really say why i like these earlier ones but the dialogue and humour just appeals to me- some great one liners- i was watching The Kink in Foggys Niblick on tv the other day and when Foggy turns up at the golf course in all his gear and Compo says to Clegg "it's fancy dress, you think anyone who's gone to all that trouble would have put a red nose on" -makes me laugh every time. I will have to catch up on the Seymore era again, i've got a few but they don't seem to show them on Yesterday- anyone know why not?

I like all eras but especialy the Foggy and Seymour eras.Not sure about Hobbbo but he was growing on me then they went and stopped it!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest, it was never the same for me after Compo died. I carried on watching for a few series after that, but I just couldn't get into it. For me Compo's death left too much of a gap.

Back