Micheal Bates

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
I've been watching "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" with Micheal Bates and Windsor Davies. I must say, Bates is a wonderful actor and it really shows in this series, more so IMO than Summer Wine. Blamire and Rangi Ram feel like two different people. It's almost hard to believe both are Micheal Bates.

I've been watching "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" with Micheal Bates and Windsor Davies. I must say, Bates is a wonderful actor and it really shows in this series, more so IMO than Summer Wine. Blamire and Rangi Ram feel like two different people. It's almost hard to believe both are Micheal Bates.

That's the power of good acting. We have had many comments on the diverse roles of Peter Sallis (and Bill Owen for that matter). And Michael Aldridge had an incredible range.

Yes very true they are all so brilliant I love finding other work LOTSW actors have done as apart from the enjoyment of seeing them in other roles one sees just how talented they all are. I recently acquired a dvd of a production of "Brand" that the BBC had recorded and Peter Sallis plays two parts in it both very different characters and he is terrific , but he also gives a fascinating interview about the play and Patrick McGoohan who played Brand.

Bates was perfect in the film "Patton" as Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery.

I recently acquired a dvd of a production of "Brand" that the BBC had recorded and Peter Sallis plays two parts in it both very different characters and he is terrific , but he also gives a fascinating interview about the play and Patrick McGoohan who played Brand.

I saw bits of that too, and an interview, is that on the DVD also? An interview with Peter being amused about his terrible plummy accent as the vicar ;D.

I know he is nothing to do with LOSW, but I feel the same about Ronnie Barker as Arkwright and Fletcher.

A much underrated actor, two hugely different characters, brilliantly acted

I know he is nothing to do with LOSW, but I feel the same about Ronnie Barker as Arkwright and Fletcher.

A much underrated actor, two hugely different characters, brilliantly acted

Ronnie Barker was a fine actor,would of been great in the show

Just finished the fifth series of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and must say I've really enjoyed it so far. Michael is truly excellent in this series, and has a good cast/scripts to work with.

By the fifth series, Michael would have left Summer Wine, and in ...Hot Mum, he is now using a stick when he has to walk around. His comic timing has not faltered though.

Ronny Barker had a reputation for taking over the production of his shows and had to be helped out of the mess he created,but I dont think he would have fitted in with the cast.

I gather one of the reasons for changing the location of Deolali to Burma at the beginning of the fifth series of IAHHM was that the crew didn't expect Michael Bates to be well enough to appear anymore - but he was hastily written back into the show.

Michael Bates was superb in both LOTSW and IAHHM.

Back