Merry / Happy Christmas, origin wonderings...

RickAns

Dedicated Member
I had often wondered over the years about UK shows using "Happy Christmas" while American shows tend to use "Merry Christmas". What the difference between happy and merry really is.

After a quick little search I found out why through the linked article.

Basically it says that happy is more of a state of mind, an inner emotional condition. While merry is more of an active behavior description. "Merry-making" or "the more, the merrier" versus the state of "being happy". We say Happy Easter and Happy Birthday yet not Merry Birthday. I think Merry Birthday sounds a bit more festive! Hmm, maybe that could be a new thing like Festivus from Seinfeld :) .

Seems Merry Christmas was used at least as far back as 1534 by a letter from bishop John Fisher to Henry VIII's chief minister Thomas Cromwell. The carol "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" introduced in the 1500's. The article says the royal family started using "Happy Christmas" as their preferred greeting. Others took notice and started using it as well. But does not really say about when this happened. If you know then please say.

Charles Dickens and the Victorians influenced Christmas songs and many of today's Christmas traditions.

On a side note a very distant relative of mine (Ernst Anschutz) penned the lyrics for "O Tannenbaum" back in 1824 that we still use today :21:. Sadly I did not inherit any of their musical / writing skills. For those that the penny had not dropped yet, O Tannenbaum == O Christmas Tree.

If ya celebrate it, then a Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas to ya and a Happy New Year as well ! Or do you say Merry New Year in the UK? A Merry year does sound tempting as well. :18:

To throw a Spaniard in the works (in the words of John Lennon), Rick . Does n' t the Mad Hatter sing "VERY MERRY UN-BIRTHDAY " when they entertain Alice in WALT DISNEY'S film ?? :fp:

I believe he does, dick! Well caught. Always liked the concept they had with merry un-birthdays. Most clever. :18:

Back