Members Map: HQ once had a rail link!

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
Was just checking the members map and I noticed that HQ was near to a road marked "Station Road" - when I checked it on satellite view instead of map view the course of an old railway line was very plain running NW-SE along a road called Fairways and the grass had a different colour.

On checking my historic railway atlas I find there was a line: the station closed in 1959 but the line remained in use until 1988 to serve some oil sidings. It was built in 1850 by MSL.

:wink::wink: - or is this just sad?

By all accounts, the station was architecturally significant. It's been replaced by a bland Kingdom Hall but the Stationmaster's House still stands next door. The van carrying the trio and Chip's family pass it when they return from their day out in Pâté and Chips.

Marianna

Who or what is HQ???

Partly in answer to the question, are we all on the same wavelength here? As I understand it, on the Members' Map, HQ is where our venerable leader, Terry, hangs out, somewhere like Torksey in Lincolnshire. If Barmpot is right, the railway line was built by MSL, Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway which eventually became Great Central.

I think Marianna is talking about Holmfirth where the railway was built by Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

But then, as always, I could be lying.

Was just checking the members map and I noticed that HQ was near to a road marked "Station Road" - when I checked it on satellite view instead of map view the course of an old railway line was very plain running NW-SE along a road called Fairways and the grass had a different colour.

On checking my historic railway atlas I find there was a line: the station closed in 1959 but the line remained in use until 1988 to serve some oil sidings. It was built in 1850 by MSL.

:wink::wink: - or is this just sad?

Hi Rod
Yes there was a station nearby,I am told by locals it used to be a busy route in it's day with Boat trains passing through en route from the east coast ports to the west coast and back,I am informed it was a well used route between Europe and folk going to America via Ireland before cheaper flights became available,I suspect it was Harwich across to Liverpool

My bad! Reading too fast and thinking ahead of what I was reading, again. Just ignore me.

Marianna

Partly in answer to the question, are we all on the same wavelength here? As I understand it, on the Members' Map, HQ is where our venerable leader, Terry, hangs out, somewhere like Torksey in Lincolnshire. If Barmpot is right, the railway line was built by MSL, Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway which eventually became Great Central.

I think Marianna is talking about Holmfirth where the railway was built by Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

But then, as always, I could be lying.

Yes it was Torksey - HQ being the annotation that Terry has for his location (or near it as he always disguises the actual spot).

Yes I think Marianna is talking about the Lanky's Holmfirth.

Who or what is HQ???

As indicated above - HQ is the designation used to denote Terry's approximate whereabouts which can be seen on the Member's Map.

All locations are deliberately vague - I am shown as being in the middle of a playing field (King George V Playing Fields to be more precise)!

What really struck me was that even after 26 years after lifting the line of the trackbed was still obvious from the satellite photographs.

Back