members get together

happyjack

Dedicated Member
sometime ago I recall reading in these pages something about a members get together. I have not seen anything since (or have I missed it?) or is something still being planned

Hi

I did ask sometime back about a get together but I got just one member getting in touch,so I did not make further plans,Terry

I would love to come but being agoraphobic I couldn't gaurantee I'd make it although I would try my utmost to be there.It would be nice to meet everyone face to face and maybe have a Q & A session with a cast or crew member.Maybe get permission to screen a couple of episodes.So count me in.

how about setting a date or dates sometime next year and see what sort of response we get and then finalise something should we get a good one

I'm a member of a couple of other forums, both motorcycle and social.
I've been on a few get-togethers, one was only a couple of weeks ago and to be honest, the turn-out wasn't brilliant.
The previous one last year however, had the pub well packed out, we all had a nice meal and new friendships were made.
I expect the turn-out really depends on when the get-together is planned and if people are going to be available on the chosen date, plus how far people have to travel to get to the event needs to be considered.

The Ducati motorcycle forum that i'm a member of, posted a thread for members who were interested in visiting Belgium for a long weekend, a return visit that the Belgian contingient made over here last May.
The forum organisers gave members a good three months to put their names down and to pay for the accomodation, etc.
When i checked the forum this afternoon, ALL rooms had been taken, with 32 members attending the trip next month (Sept).

Now, if they can organise a trip to Begium, with all the logistics involved, Accomodation, menu's, travel arrangements, etc, surely we can arrange to meet at a mutually beneficial pub/hotel/whatever (preferably in Holmefirth?).
If some have to travel and need to stay overnight, i'm sure the cost could be well worth it, provided that there's a decent turn-out, of course.
Food for thought?

G ; )

Gosh, for those who have to travel... I have to travel a bit. It´s relatively easy and not too expensive to get to London, but Yorkshire is more difficult with time and money. I would love to, maybe I can one day.

Gosh, for those who have to travel... I have to travel a bit. It´s relatively easy and not too expensive to get to London, but Yorkshire is more difficult with time and money. I would love to, maybe I can one day.

Yes, sorry ****.
It was probably a bit thoughtless of me not to think about our European friends and how they would get to the event.
It would obviously be much more difficult and costly for you to attend, sorry!

G ; )

Is there any positive responses to this suggestion? I am very keen to do some thing next year if we can at least 20-30 members I think it would be worthwhile.

Is there any positive responses to this suggestion? I am very keen to do some thing next year if we can at least 20-30 members I think it would be worthwhile.

20-30 members seems to be a lot to ask in my opinion. We appear to have just a hard core group of regular visitors that could well be no more than a dozen who could easily reach Holmfirth.
Also, since the show has ended we may well find the number of visitiors dwindle over the coming months :(

Or maybe on the contrary, I have noticed more and more people are looking Summer Wine up on the internet, for example on Youtube. I wouldn´t be surprised if even new fans would be acquired through the axing.

It's a nice thought, but it's very rare that happens. Usually once a series has come to an end there is interest for a couple of months and then it rapidly declines.

The shows viewing figures have tapered off dramatically and it isn't as if it had a huge cult following like Dr.Who or something like that.

Also Holmfirth could be a very different place next year. The business people will want to get back to some kind of normality in the town - not everyone liked it, in fact some of the people there hated it because of the disruption the filming caused.
So for the town itself there may be little to see unless they get the financial backing for the exhibition of props and memorabillia from the show.

It looks like I will have to make the pilgrimage on my own next year. But I am sure I will enjoy it

You will not regret it.If you haven't been before you're n for a treat.I was hoping to go this year but I bottled it.I'm hoping to try again next year.
The local people are so friendly and the Summer Wine exhibition is very special.

It looks like I will have to make the pilgrimage on my own next year. But I am sure I will enjoy it
I will still meet up if you want, you don't have to go on your own. I just don't see there been that many of us, but we can still make it a good day out :)

Yes George I have been a couple of times before, but I would like to go again because it is such a beautiful place and there are several new locations to see since I was last there

Hi Stewpot, I will let you know when I am coming and we will see if we can meet up, that goes for anyone else if you are interested

Sorry I have not replied to this sooner - have been away down in English Riviera - but would be interested in a meet up provided it was West Yorkshire based, Holmfirth is some 25 miles due south of me.

Back