Marriage Vows

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I was watching Going to Gordens Wedding yesterday and it got me thinking, how many of the Summer Wine wifes promised to obey their husbands and actually did?
Can you imagine Nora, Ivy, Pearl or Edie obeying their husbands? Maybe the husband's promised to obey the wife's!

Imagine Glenda would have promised without doubt , but we don't get the background of when they were married perhaps if they were married very young then they may have but I imagine they came to their senses very expediently , although you get hints in the coffee morning conversations that they may well have not promised to obey.

I was watching Going to Gordens Wedding yesterday and it got me thinking, how many of the Summer Wine wifes promised to obey their husbands and actually did?
Can you imagine Nora, Ivy, Pearl or Edie obeying their husbands? Maybe the husband's promised to obey the wife's!

I imagine Nora got that part deleted from her vows. My sister did, and also kept her maiden name !

I imagine Nora got that part deleted from her vows. My sister did, and also kept her maiden name !
Good for her! If I were ever to re-marry, a highly unlikely occurrence after having learned from experience in my misspent youth, "obey" would be deleted from the vows. At the end of the celebrant's legal statement, "By the power invested in me by the State of New York", or however it's worded in other states, the phrase would be, "I now pronounce you husband and wife (or "married")", not "man and wife". In addition, I'd keep my maiden name. Of course, none of that would fit into the plot of LOTSW, or any other comedy. It's the stuff of drama, instead.

Back