cciaffone

Dedicated Member
In A Sidecar Named Desire, Marina is briefly seen
driving a tiny, yellow, 2-seat, open car. I cannot
see the front badge.

Any idea what it is???

Yeah, wasn't the Mini a 4-seater??

Had to excise the back bit, remove the rear
quarter panels then, braze the back on again.
No???

The mini was brilliant ,so easy to work on tip it on its side and you could change the exhaust.Mates back in the sixties had a nice little business changinging clutches by unbolting and lifting with block and tackle bet the new mini cant be worked on like that!

Thanks Unc. That sure looks like it.
Came here to ask the same question. It certainly looks very similar, and I think Marina's car is definitely also a cut-down mini; but I don't think it's the self-same car. It would be nice to know where the actual one is.

First and foremost, it's a different reg; Marina is driving SHD562X (1981 reg letter); I can't read the full flickr reg, but it starts D319... (1986 reg letter). Second, if you look closely, there are minor differences. The flickr one has the winged mini badge, whereas Marina's badge looks more like a shield; the flickr one has a tonneau cover behind the seat, wheras Marina's doesn't. The seatbelt attachments are different. And the chrome around the rear light cluster (and possibly the rear lights themselves) look like they may be slightly different as well. Obviously none of that is definitive - the registration could have been changed, and anyone who owns a car like that is likely to lovingly maintain it and possibly tinker with its details - but they certainly suggest two different vehicles.

Last edited:
Came here to ask the same question. It certainly looks very similar, and I think Marina's car is definitely also a cut-down mini; but I don't think it's the self-same car. It would be nice to know where the actual one is.

First and foremost, it's a different reg; Marina is driving SHD562X (1981 reg letter); I can't read the full flickr reg, but it starts D319... (1986 reg letter). Second, if you look closely, there are minor differences. The flickr one has the winged mini badge, whereas Marina's badge looks more like a shield; the flickr one has a tonneau cover behind the seat, wheras Marina's doesn't. The seatbelt attachments are different. And the chrome around the rear light cluster (and possibly the rear lights themselves) look like they may be slightly different as well. Obviously none of that is definitive - the registration could have been changed, and anyone who owns a car like that is likely to lovingly maintain it and possibly tinker with its details - but they certainly suggest two different vehicles.
Welcome to the forum Doghouse, hope you'll stick around and post a bit more!

This subject was discussed in more detail more recently, here's the thread if it helps

One thing for sure, you would not want to be in a collision in one of those!

Its a cut above the then road legal Sir Clive Sinclair's Sinclair C5 who would want to be in one of them . Remember people saying you would be at car bonnet level when driving in traffic and perhaps Sinclair could add a periscope in the next version :) Needless to say it was a commercial disaster though now they change hands for a lot of money . There are famous owners Prince William and Harry drove them around Kensington estate , Elton John had a couple and Michael Pitts the mayor of Scarborough swapped his Daimler for one appears he was advised to do so by an enthusiastic tourist , a Mr Dewhirst, who was on holiday at the famous northern resort. :08:

car.jpg

The Delorean DMC was also an absolute commercial disaster but they now change hands for serious sums of money. Therefore I think we should all hang onto our Betamax Video recorders for now!!!!

Back