Marina and Clegg a couple?

Mrs blamire (i wish)

Sorry if this is a little out of the ordinary to ask, but I rewatched the secret birthday of normal clegg episode (cos it’s peter sallis’s b day today ❤️)
And marina is briefly shown saying to him something like “if only you knew” just before they’re spotted by Howard, and also there was an episode where clegg and marina were in a wardrobe together, so what I’m trying to ask is, is it me, or does Roy Clarke seem to want marina and clegg to in a way “get together”? Let’s be honest they’re both unattached and marina obviously like clegg and I feel like under the shy persona clegg really likes marina too, and they definitely have history together, plus at the very last episode of the series Howard and Pearl in their own way seem to get back together so…
Idk what do you guys think?

I think Clegg would rather go and live in Lancashire than consider being in a relationship with Marina . I think it is one of two scenarios either Marina is genuinely attracted to Cleggy or she knows that he is absolutely terrified of her and she uses that on occasion to have a little bit of fun at Cleggy's expense to maybe brighten her day and make a change to the daily pursuit of Howard and latterly Mr Wardle.

They were stuck in a lift together for three weeks. Well, it was more like 40 minutes but it seemed like three weeks according to Cleggy.
They did a summer play at a popular beach retreat about Summer Wine and Foggy was "up in the attic in bed." (Brian Wilde couldn't make it) So they came up with Howard, Pearl and Marina, and the actors did so well, that they had to use them them in the series. The lift was somewhere in Huddersfield and Clegg and Marina were trapped in it - together.

Early Clegg wasn't terrified of women but its implied that Marina is part of the reason he became adverse to them altogether. Howard, Pearl, and Marina originated from a Roy Clarke Summerwine play and thats where the actors came from when they were introduced in Series 8. The events of the play are referenced when we first see Marina. It isn't clear to me what exactly the play involved (I've never read a summary of it), but I do know that in the play Marina was a widow that Howard stashes at Clegg's to hide from Pearl. Either Marina initially thinks Clegg is who she's been talking to or she decides he's a better catch then the married Howard. Either way, after that she seems to be interested in him (even though the tv show doesn't carry the widow angle for Marina.)

The stuck in a lift story came several years later and presumably reinforced Clegg's fear of her. Or, it was decided to ignore the play and create a different origin for Clegg's fear of her. Its hard to know for sure.

I don't think Clarke ever thought of them getting together. It was just a fun recurring gag, and he used it with other women as well. Besides, Marina is set up with Toby in the final episode, not Clegg.

I am sure our Glenda has played the part before and the announcement that Sarah will appear at Doncaster is effectively after completing many performances on the tour before it reached Doncaster. Checking up on Barry , finding him when he was missing was all good training . I am sure as an accomplished actress she will be excellent in the role. :)

Back