Making a name for oneself.

George

Super Moderator
It's odd how Stephen Lewis appeared in 135 episodes of Summer Wine as Smiler,yet he will always be remembered more as Blakey in On the Buses in which he appeared in I think 74 episodes.I was wondering how many more people that has happened to.

It's odd how Stephen Lewis appeared in 135 episodes of Summer Wine as Smiler,yet he will always be remembered more as Blakey in On the Buses in which he appeared in I think 74 episodes.I was wondering how many more people that has happened to.

Maybe George they are remembered from the first show they became well known in, like David Jason will always be Dell Boy even though he was in open all hours before that, or do certain catchy names/phrases stick better

Good thread George, mi owd love.lol.

When Stephen Lewis was brought in as Smiler (or Clem Hemimgway in the earlier episode), i was a bit dissapointed that he brought the mannerisms of Blakey with him.
I think had he been a bit different in that respect, it could have worked better, although we shall never know now.

Josephine Tewson as Miss Davenport was another, who brought her "nervousness" from "Keeping up appearances" (another of Roy's gems), to the show.
She still had that headless chicken attitude that Mrs Bucket instilled in her and to me, both Josephine and Stephen seemed to just carry their previous parts over from the former programmes they were in, was this what Roy wanted from them when he wrote them into Summer Wine?

None of the above is meant as criticism towards the actors or Roy Clarke, at the end of the day, they were all involved in the comedy side of Television but i have to admit, sometimes when watching them performing on SW, i couldn't help but see them as though the two programmes had somehow blurred into each other.

G ; )

Back