Luther Hobdyke 3rd Man

If Hobbo was not written into the show then equally they could have promoted Jeremy the Jewel thief and jelly expert [more the strawberry and raspberry than exploding variety] to be the third man in the trio with his exaggerated stories of what was most likely a failed career as a safe cracker and jewel thief . John Challis would have been a good alternative choice.

The only glaring thing that I noticed was that when Hobbo was going in and out of his place, they would go past Cleggy's door without even a mention of Cleggy, much less having him pop out. I realize that they had Peter and Frank in London or where ever the indoor living room scenes were filmed; and that their time of filming outdoor scenes in Holmforth was over.

@captain clutterbuck
Now you mention it John Challis would have made an interesting 3rd man character and I did love his character in LOTSW. I'm guessing they chose Russ Abbott as he was a very big star in his day and would broaden the appeal to younger viewers, although John Challis has a rich pedigree in acting, he's only ever really been a character actor rather than a lead.
I'm supposed to be seeing an Evening with JC (which keeps getting postponed due to Covid) if it happens I'll ask him in the Q&A if he was ever asked to take a greater role in LOTSW.

He has had lots of roles , a painter in Ever Decreasing Circles , a delivery man in Open All Hours but he will always be Boycie wondering why he can smell onions constantly . I thought the Jeremy the Jewel thief character had great possibilities and his stories of notoriety as a safecracker and Jewel thief had the potential to grow , the play off with the frankly bungling Cooper and Walsh , the adoration from Miss Davenport and Marina , the latter bringing in jealousy from Howard so plenty of scope from my perspective .

NB Barry hopefully if you make to see him you can ask about the role and does he still smell onions constantly ;)

Open All Hours was the same. Did Arkwright ever have a Christmas themed episode? Keeping up Appearances did have an episode called "The Father Christmas Suit" when Richard dressed up as Santa and was meant to be going to give out presents at the pensioners Christmas dinner.
The nearest there was to an Open All Hours Christmas Special was a short sketch forming part of The Funny Side of Christmas (1982), the same show which gave the short LOTSW Christmas sketch called 'How to Ignore Christmas.

Oddly, there have been many Christmas episodes of Still Open All Hours. I think each series began or ended with a Christmas themed show.

The nearest there was to an Open All Hours Christmas Special was a short sketch forming part of The Funny Side of Christmas (1982), the same show which gave the short LOTSW Christmas sketch called 'How to Ignore Christmas.

Oddly, there have been many Christmas episodes of Still Open All Hours. I think each series began or ended with a Christmas themed show.

I think Dad's Army had two similar sketches during two "Christmas Night with the Stars" shows in the mid 1970s. SOAH has had a Christmas episode every year since it began. In fact, it was the audience reaction to a one off Christmas episode that really got the series going in the first place.

I think one of the major challenges LOTSW had with Christmas episodes was all the filming was done during the summer. You'll notice in A Tale Of Two Sweaters (which was the last Christmas themed episode) that most of the plants outside Howards house are still in full bloom which made it even less authentic !

Works both ways when they filmed Carry on Follow that Camel that was shot at Camber Sands which even at the peak of Summer is never going to be the Sahara and the stars were freezing.

Peter Rogers and Gerald Thomas were very economic in their spending on the Production of the Carry On's recall our very own June Whitfield expressing her sad but unsurprising reaction when cast in Carry on Abroad and having her expectation of filming in Spain and some well earned sunshine dashed when Peter Rogers informed them of where filming would take place . These films and spin off pictures based on TV Series like Are you Being Served were all budget productions to maximise profit at the Box Office normally involved the characters going on Holiday abroad but they were filmed in Elstree or some other studio on a custom built set rather than is a place abroad to represent the fictional resort they took the Holiday in .

Peter Rogers and Gerald Thomas were very economic in their spending on the Production of the Carry On's recall our very own June Whitfield expressing her sad but unsurprising reaction when cast in Carry on Abroad and having her expectation of filming in Spain and some well earned sunshine dashed when Peter Rogers informed them of where filming would take place . These films and spin off pictures based on TV Series like Are you Being Served were all budget productions to maximise profit at the Box Office normally involved the characters going on Holiday abroad but they were filmed in Elstree or some other studio on a custom built set rather than is a place abroad to represent the fictional resort they took the Holiday in .

Wasn't the series Duty Free all shot in studio even though it was set in Spain? At least in recent times there was the budget to film an overseas based comedy in the actual country with Benidorm.

Back